Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Two accounts. Inability to use iOS5 features and very confused.

Before iOS5 I had two accounts with Apple

Kt@kt.net for iTunes

Kt@me.com for MobileMe

Last night I merged my MobileMe to iCloud using my MobileMe name kt@me.com

This address doesn't allow me to access support

It doesn't allow me to use tools such as Find my friends

When logging into kt@kt.net it asked me to add a MobileMe Address so I added kt@me.com

I am unable to verify the address as its used on the other one.

How can I a) keep my kt@me.com address b) ensure I keep all my data and c)merge the old account leaving me with just the one?

Posted on Oct 13, 2011 8:48 AM

5 replies

Oct 13, 2011 10:40 AM in response to Keith Tomlinson1

I am having the same problem. After I merged I went into the iWork to take a look and it told me to launch Keynote on my device. I launched it on my iMac and nothing linked up. I launched Keynote on my iPad and didn't see anything special that would indicate that it would go up into the cloud for use on my iMac or iPhone. I am using the iWork beta already.

The AppleID that I use to make all my purchases, is older than MobileMe.

There has to be a way to merge the two accounts into one, or... allow for both accounts to sync together.

Can anyone share some advice on how to fix this issue?

Oct 17, 2011 12:15 PM in response to Keith Tomlinson1

I've been trying to resolve a similar issue via AppleCare customer service for the past few days, but no success. My scenario is this.

I originally created an Apple ID for iTunes in 2006 that was simply myname with a 6-character password. In 2010 Apple said that to have a valid Apple ID it must be an email address and have a password of 8 characters with at least one capital letter--so I created myname@mac.com with a new 8-character password. When requested on my three iOS 5 devices to set up store account I used the mac.com one. Now I am locked out of 5 years of iTunes and Apps in the myname only account because I was not notified of the 90-day lockout until after the newer, fewer purchases account was added.

I hope Apple provides the ability to merge accounts soon--there must be tens of thousands who are in similar a situation of being locked out on their iOS 5 devices. Fortunately, it looks like USB syncing to a computer that has both accounts iTunes and Apps still works.

Oct 17, 2011 1:46 PM in response to Keith Tomlinson1

Same problem here also.

It looks like those of us that had a non-email Apple ID (for iTunes) and then signed up for .MAC (which unknown to us created another Apple ID) got somewhat lost in the transition to iCloud.

For now I am using my iTunes Apple ID for the store and my .MAC (after migration) for iCloud. I also have an iCloud account associated with my iTunes Apple ID which is emply and I will simple ignore for now.

My biggest problem is for iMessage. I want to use my .MAC (now iCloud) email address as my iMessage email address because it is already known to the world. but I get the infamous "already in use" error message. The only email address iMessage will let me activate (without creating a new one) is associated my iTunes Apple ID.

What I would like is a single Apple ID / Email Adress combo that is associated with iCloud, iMessage, and the Store (linked to all my existing digital assets).

Oct 17, 2011 1:53 PM in response to wwanthony

"What I would like is a single Apple ID / Email Address combo that is associated with iCloud, iMessage, and the Store (linked to all my existing digital assets)." wwanthony

Amen! I agree completely with the above quote. For those of us who want one, fully integrated way of handling e-mail, iOS 5 devices, OS X Lion, iTunes, etc. Apple should be able to come up with a seamless solution. For those who prefer separate IDs, accounts, whatever--those will still be available. You should not be forced to integrate into one account if you do not wish to do so.

Two accounts. Inability to use iOS5 features and very confused.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.