Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro (Mid 2010) suddenly become very slow

Hello community!

My MacBook Pro (Mid 2010) has suddenly become very slow at boot time: I see the grey Apple logo and the "spinning lines" for up to 5 minutes (haven't timed it yet, but feels like).

After the login screen finally appears it still feels very sluggish: when I click on my user for instance it takes another 10 seconds until the password field is shown, and sometimes the spinning beach ball quickly shows!

When I finally have managed to login application startup is ridiculously slow, e.g. sometimes over a minute - again not timed accurately, but for sure 5 times as long as it usually would take. Starting up preferences takes a long time, everything is slow at startup and the beach ball keeps appearing.

Basically I observe all the symptoms described here:

http://appletoolbox.com/2010/05/continued-macbook-pro-mid-2010-beach-ballsfreeze s-apple-replacing-testing-units/

CPU usage is almost zero during these waits, but the beach ball keeps appearing for several seconds sometimes. The Apple DiskTool reports no errors either (I know, doesn't detect all failures), the system info sais the initial startup test was "successful". I did not find any free utility to check RAM yet, will boot with a Linux DVD later on and try to do some more hardware checks...

I have no external drives attached, no USB sticks inserted, just a plain "out-of-the-box" MacBook Pro 11", with the standard 250 GB Hitachi disk drive (the link mentions that initially mostly Seagate drives would be the culprit, but other harddisks seem to be affected, too).

Now here's the thing: when I say "suddenly became slow" I mean that Lion (currently 10.7.1, but am updating in this very moment) ran JUST FINE before! However I noticed it the first time when I connected a HDMI TV display during boot, the display simply wouldn't be detected, so I rebooted, and since then, slow bootup and application startup times.

Now I am not 100% sure whether these slow startup times actually appeared after the update to 10.7.1, as I do not use my MacBook Pro very often (the one I use for work, my iMac, is still on Snow Leopard for productity). But I think it also did run fine under 10.7.1 at some time.

And no, I don't remember installing any special software which would explain this change. Disk is not (yet) encrypted with FileVault. or any other software (and never was).

Once an application is running I detect no slowdowns, e.g. graphic performance seems okay and I have no random crashes which would indicate bad RAM. It really seems related to the harddisk.

And now while writing this I have the feeling that after 15 minutes or so of work application startup seems to normalise, that means now when I start other applications (which off course I did not start yet during my session 😉) they seems to startup in a reasonable time.

Any ideas? The above link (and other similar issues I read here in the forum) seems to provide no real solution (except that buying a new harddisk seems to help - but who knows, the problem might just creep in again). Just now I'll reboot and install 10.7.2 and see whether that makes any difference... holding my breath...

Thanks all for any ideas!

Final Cut Pro X-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Oct 13, 2011 12:55 PM

3 replies

Oct 13, 2011 2:33 PM in response to till213

The update to 10.7.2 seems to have made a difference! Boot time is reduced to about 1 minute to login screen (which is still much longer than what Snow Leopard did) and after the login screen application startup times seem to have normalised as well.

I will give it another try tomorrow to see whether the performance remains the same after a "cold start".

Oct 14, 2011 12:29 PM in response to till213

No, the update to 10.7.2 did NOT help! At least the boot time is still extremely slow, I am talking 5 minutes until the login screen!

The applications now seem to start normally however.

This was for sure different under 10.7.0, not sure whether 10.7.1 introduced this behaviour - it might have worked initially, but something is definitively broken now.

Is there a way on Mac to get a boot log file somewhere, where it would be possible to see what takes so long during boot time?

Note that I already tried the "Delete PRAM and NVRAM RAM trick" (https://support.apple.com/kb/HT1379), but that did not help.

Any ideas how to analyse why my MacBook Pro is taking so long to boot? I am just trying a "warm reboot" and see whether that makes a difference (just like yesterday after updating to 10.7.2 and when I thought that did the trick).

Thanks

Oct 15, 2011 12:24 AM in response to till213

Seems like the good ol' "Restore File Permissions" (with the "Disk Service Application" or "Festplattendienstprogramm" (german)) did the trick!

Now what or why some of my file permissions are changed I don't know, but it's kind of a scarry "Mac feature" (I never have observed such a thing under Linux or Windows!" - especially since I work as a normal user without administrator rights - so can't be me!

Except off course if you install new software, but I don't have any special "system level" applications, just ordinary applications such as Lightroom, MS Office, Gimp, a few developer tools such as Qt and XCode, ...

Well, who knows, my MacBook Pro is starting "normally" again. Still takes almost a minute or so until login screen, but "normal" for Lion anyway...

Cheers

MacBook Pro (Mid 2010) suddenly become very slow

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.