Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Finder View options, won't stay set after restart or log out

I like to have my application and utility folders (in the finder side bar) open in icon view and arranged by name and my Home and Movies folder open in list view with files arranged by name.

Each time i log out of my computor or restart the view options i have mentioned are reset, which is extreamly frustrating.

I have also noticed that the finder window now opens in a small size in the middle of the screen rather than being aligned to the left hand side as like to have it set.

This problem has only occoured recently, i think after deleting some "relic" files using Cleanapp.

Any ideas on how i can sort this out greatly appreciated

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.1), 6GB memory, 300GB HD

Posted on Oct 13, 2011 1:00 PM

5 replies

Dec 27, 2011 1:27 PM in response to ardenus

I finally know what causes folders to lose their view settings - even if you have set them to "Always open in..." a particular view (but I do not know how to fix it).

The trigger is setting any window to "column" view. Try it.

(1) Create a new folder, and set it to your preferred view (but not column view). Close the folder and re-open it to verify that it is in the view you have set. You can even set it to "Always open in..." that view, if you like (it doesn't matter).

(2) Now open up any other finder window or folder, and switch it to column view. If it is already in column view, switch it to some other view and then back to column view.

(3) Now go back to the folder you created in step 1 and open it. Presto: column view. (Aargh!)

I confirmed this with a helpful and sympathetic Apple support staffer at the Genius Bar in my local Apple Store. Unfortunately, he had no solution, but noted it as an apparent bug in the 10.7 finder.

This is an extremely reliable behavior, that I have confirmed on 5 different machines all running 10.7.2. It is also an extremely frustrating behavior that I hope Apple fixes soon.

-Barry

P.S. I will copy this to similar threads where this is being discussed, in hopes that it is helpful. Sometimes understanding why something happens can make it a little less frustrating, even if you don't know how to fix it.

Finder View options, won't stay set after restart or log out

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.