Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari only works in Private Browsing - iPad 1

I'm having an issue where as soon as I turn off private browsing Safari will immediately crash upon launch. It seems to be working fine as long as Private Browsing is turned on.

I've tried force quitting Safari, clearing the cache and cookies, deleting the browsing history, and force rebooting the iPad. I just thought I'd check on here to see if anyone could figure it out before doing a restore.

iPad

Posted on Oct 13, 2011 2:21 PM

3 replies

Oct 14, 2011 6:09 AM in response to LivingModernMarvel

(Edit: I wouldn't say it "only works in Private browsing", but I'm seeing what you describe in your original post.)

I'm seeing the same problem you describe in your original post, and it was repeatable for me. iPad (original 3G, 64GB), iOS 5. (There are now at least three separate threads with this same problem.)

For me...

Once the crashes start, it would continue to crash every time I tried to bring up Safari. It crashes just as it finishes showing the tool bars, but before any content is displayed.

Manually killing the app did not make the problem go away.

One time, shutting down and restarting the iPad fixed it, but that solution did not work the next time I went in and out of Private browsing. Also, once the crashing begins, going back into Private browsing did not stop the crashing.

The last time it got into the crashing condition, I stopped the crashing by turning off the setting to display the Bookmark bar. Strange!

I have like 20 Safari crash logs that I hope will get auto-sent to Apple sometime today (I reenabled the send data to Apple option).

Safari only works in Private Browsing - iPad 1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.