10 Replies Latest reply: Mar 19, 2012 1:38 PM by per dahl
Rysz Level 6 Level 6
expertise.itunes
iTunes

Updated everything: Lion, iTunes, iOS 5.

iPad's Wi-Fi connects to my AirPort Express network just fine, but iPhone 3GS sees my network, but can't connnect to it ("Unable to connect...") with the only available action being "Dismiss". Even tried Apple's new iOS AirPort Utility. Exact same thing.

Any suggestions?

• Bob Timmons Level 10 Level 10

If other devices are connecting to the AirPort Experss network, and the iPhone is not....you likely have an iPhone issue.

For iPhone Support, you might want to try the iPhone Support Area:

http://www.apple.com/support/iphone/

• Rysz Level 6 Level 6
    expertise.itunes
    iTunes

Other devices connect to the network fine - so it's not the network; iPhone connected to the network fine prior to iOS update - so it's not the phone hardware; problem started immediately after update to iOS 5 - so I would assume iOS 5 is the culprit.

Otherss report the same problem on the support boards.

• Spiff Level 1 Level 1

It could still be a base station problem if it's a 2.4GHz vs. 5GHz thing on a simultaneous dual-band base station.

iPads and Intel Macs do 5GHz; iPhones, iPod touches, and PowerPC Macs do not. So if your 5GHz network on your simultaneous dual-band base station is working fine, but there's something wrong on the 2.4GHz side, then that could explain why iPads and Intel Macs can join, but iPhones can't.

Message was edited by: Spiff, to clear up my reasoning for why simultaneous dual-band might matter.

• Bob Timmons Level 10 Level 10

to clear up my reasoning for why simultaneous dual-band might matter.

The AirPort Express base station mentioned in this thread is not a simultaneous dual band device

• Spiff Level 1 Level 1

D'oh! I totally missed that he'd said Express and not Extreme. My bad. Thanks.

• sergeant_cecil Level 1 Level 1

I had the same problem since upgrading IOS 5. I looked fairly extensively, and found a number of "solutions" - none of which worked.

In frustration, I switched the phone off, took out the sim card, and replaced it.

Lo and behold. It allowed me to connect ??

• Somethinghead Level 1 Level 1

Sim card trick worked for me. I came to that idea in the same way you did - nothing else worked, it popped into my head, and now it's working.

• aymanmg Level 1 Level 1

I tried out every suggestion here but nothing worked for me.

i restored the iPhone, restarted router, went everywhere an Wi-Fi were available , reset my networks , everything but nothing. The problem as I try to recall is when upgrading to this iOS5 . I was asked to setup my access point and I chose to cancel this for now and also to cancel my location determinator, and continued my setup!!

finally the result is an iPhone without a Wi-Fi.

The Wi-Fi is totally dimed off, that I can't press or use or activate/deactivate!

Helllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllp.

• aymanmg Level 1 Level 1

I tryed the simcard trick by every mean but no success!!!

• per dahl Level 1 Level 1

So... did the new IOS help anyone? I't didn't help me  :-(  :-(