Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Find My Mac Unable to Locate my iMac

I haved succesfully updated my iMac and wife's Macbook to 10.7.2 and my iPhone and iPad to iOS5.

I am able to see all 4 devices in the device list when I run the "Find My iPhone" application on the iPhone, iPad, iMac or Macbook, however, for the iMac and Macbook the text below the device icon says "No location available". If I turn off "Find My Mac" in System Preferences/iCloud then the device icon disappears from the screens of the other devices I'm using to locate it so the application is obvioulsy detecting the iMac and Macbook on the network but cannot locate them. All the devices are connecting to my home wi-fi network and have location services enabled. I thought it might be that the iPhone has a sim card installed but the iPad and is connected to the WiFi just the same as the iMac and Macbook so I am baffled as to why this application sees them but cannot determine location

Anyone got any ideas why this might be? 😕

iMac 24, Mac OS X (10.7.1)

Posted on Oct 13, 2011 4:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 13, 2011 6:07 PM

Greetings,

The same thing happened to me.

I found this same question somewhere here, but now I can't seem to find it anymore.

I followed these steps to get Find My Mac to work:

1) Open System Preferences; go to Network.

2) Under the list with Wi-Fi, Ethernet, etc..., click the little gear next to the +-; then click 'Set Service Order'.

3) If it is not, move 'Wi-Fi' to the top of the list.

4) Click 'Advanced'. In 'Preferred Networks', move your primary wireless router to the top of the list.

There were some other things this person suggested, like checking "askot to join new networks", and disabling IPV6, but I did not do that, just the steps listed above.

It worked! Find my Mac actually locates it.

Good luck.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 13, 2011 6:07 PM in response to Big Apple cat

Greetings,

The same thing happened to me.

I found this same question somewhere here, but now I can't seem to find it anymore.

I followed these steps to get Find My Mac to work:

1) Open System Preferences; go to Network.

2) Under the list with Wi-Fi, Ethernet, etc..., click the little gear next to the +-; then click 'Set Service Order'.

3) If it is not, move 'Wi-Fi' to the top of the list.

4) Click 'Advanced'. In 'Preferred Networks', move your primary wireless router to the top of the list.

There were some other things this person suggested, like checking "askot to join new networks", and disabling IPV6, but I did not do that, just the steps listed above.

It worked! Find my Mac actually locates it.

Good luck.

Sep 21, 2013 8:17 PM in response to rhsjr7

I don't think it will ever work under ethernet, using current methods.

Unless I miss my guess, determining the location relies heavily on a vast database of wireless networks, compiled from numerous sources. The location is calculated by knowing what wireless network you are connected to, what other networks the computer can also "see", and what their relative signal strengths are. So, a computer that is only connected by ethernet will show up as "connected" but the app won't be able to calculate the location.

Both my home machines are connected by ethernet and wireless, although I have ethernet as the first service, contrary to advice above. Both show as connected and have a location.

If a computer is connected by wireless and still can't be located, then perhaps that is because the wireless network is "closed" (just a guess), or simply not yet part of the map.

Find My Mac Unable to Locate my iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.