Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mission Out of Control

Unlike a fair number of people, I was a heavy Spaces/Exposé user and actually like Mission Control - especially since the 10.7.2 tweaks. However, there's one thing that's driven me mad throughout the entire evolution of OS X's approach to multiple desktops…

If I have a document (or a Finder folder) open in one space, switch to another, and then open the same object, rather than open the object where I am, spaces drags back to where I was. For example, if I open a folder on desktop 1 switch to desktop 2 and later open the same folder, I'm automatically switched back to desktop 1.

While I can see a certain remorseless logic to it, it is invariably the exact opposite of what I want. It's like ordering a cup of coffee after lunch in a restaurant and being teleported back to my office because there's still half a mug left on my desk. When I open something, I want it to come to me, not be dragged to it.

This leads to two questions…

1. Am I insane?

2. Can anyone think of a workaround. I'm adept with AppleScript and other tech but can't think of a way to assuage my agony.

Thanks,

Bryan

Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Oct 13, 2011 5:08 PM

1 reply

Oct 19, 2011 2:27 PM in response to r bryan

Bryan:

Yes, I've encountered the issue you describe with folders and files. I really don't mind so much.

"First opening" is a signal to MacOS of project membership for files and folders: That is an easy, natural one for users, and a good indicator _most_ of the time. I can think up several ways to tell MacOS, "no, this file is a shared resource", but none of them seem either intuitive or convenient.

I have more trouble with apps. For one thing, I haven't yet found documentation that clearly explains the "Assign to…" dock options for apps. I haven't tried hard to find such docs, because I'm hoping as often happens with MacOS features that I'll learn more intuitively by actual use … eventually.

Browsers: I do a lot of research browsing and I often leave as many as dozens of windows open per project. For the moment, I'm assigning Safari and Chrome each to a specific project/desktop, which seems to be a reasonable expedient. I assigned Firefox to "none", and that works out well, except that when I restart, I've got to put all the Firefox windows back in the project/desktop to which they belong. But I can't easily extend this one-browser-per-desktop any further -- it seems a bit crazy to download yet more browsers.

Other apps: So far, the biggest struggles I've had are with Adobe's Dreamweaver CS5. The first issue is that DW windows disappear entirely when you leave the DW context, and that defeats a key visual aspect of Mission Control -- viewing the thumbnails. More importantly, much of the time I'm interleaving web projects, for weeks or months, such as a technical modification to website "Foo" while I'm adding content to website "Fum". But that's only two or three of 9 project/workspaces I have active at the moment, and DW is irrelevant to the other 7. How do I get DW to appear on only two?

Note: I don't intend to rag on DW. Except for the out-of-context disappearing, I think that this discussion could apply to almost any app that I use in more than one project. DW happens to be the one I have been using most recently.

I _think_ the designers worked hard to make existing apps work well with Mission Control, but there is only so much they can do. I think, say, a few tweaks to DW would let one instance of DW smoothly serve multiple project/desktops without being assigned to all of them.

HTH

P.S. In my opinion, sanity is a skill, not a state. Most people capable of asking "am I insane"? have the skill. <grin>

Mission Out of Control

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.