Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem with iMessage linked to FaceTime

I updated to iOS5 with no problem. Sent one iMessage to a friend who also has an iPhone. I then started to set the phone back up like I had it before the upgrade. I did not hear back form my friend after the first iMessage.

Fast forward to today at work, he informs me that I am able to set a different tone for incoming texts/iMessages but he notices that my "Send" button isn't blue, but green. We go to Settings>Messages and notice that iMessage was switched off, we switch on, go back to Messages and try to send him an iMessage and again "Send" is green not blue. We go back to Settings>Messages and it switches itself from on to off.

I go to the Apple store nearby. The Genius has me reset settings, which I do. The "Send" button is blue, not green. I send another iMessage to my friend. I go home, and set the phone back up again and then notice that the "Send" is again green not blue.

After 15-20 minutes playing around I discover the following:

iMessage stopped working last night after I did the following: Settings>General>Restrictions and turned off FaceTime. For some reason this logged me out of iMessage. I had to turn FaceTime back on and wait for iMessage to reverify.

I have been able to duplicate this problem 5 times. If I turn FaceTime off, it disables iMessage.

I just wanted to put this out there for anybody that might be having the same problems.

Edek

Posted on Oct 13, 2011 5:27 PM

5 replies

Oct 19, 2011 12:23 PM in response to FreakOfNature

Just stumbled onto this same issue as well. I decided to turn off facetime yesterday, and iMessage stopped working. I don't know why the light bulb came up that it was facetime causing the issue, but this must be causing tons of folks grief. Wish Apple would put a warning that turning off facetime would cause iMessage to not work.

Problem with iMessage linked to FaceTime

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.