Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I allow Wi-Fi sync through AVG Firewall (AVG Internet Security 2012)

So if you're looking at my profile, my first issue (-50) error has been solved. Now the second issue. As stated in the previous thread, I've tried Wi-Fi Sync on my iPhone 4 with iOS 5. It *will* work if my AVG Internet Security's Firewall is disabled. However if I enable it, my iPhone disappears from the iTunes window.

I've also identified certain ports remote/local used that seemed to match those on a KB article at Apple at http://support.apple.com/kb/ts1629 and have them opened but I'm not sure if I've configured them correctly.

Is anyone keen with this issue? How do I configure AVG to allow Wi-Fi sync?

Thanks in advance.

iPhone 4, Windows 7, iOS5

Posted on Oct 13, 2011 6:00 PM

19 replies

Oct 15, 2011 7:53 AM in response to Encrypted11

Hi,

Unfortunately, I *don't* have an answer for you. However, I'm in the same boat, and I can confirm that either disabling the AVG 2012 firewall or setting the profile to "Allow All" allows wireless sync to work. (You may need to restart the Bonjour Service after you change the firewall settings, and you will definitely need to restart iTunes.) Give it a try and let me know if you have the same results.

I've posted on the AVG forums to see if anyone has instructions for configuring the firewall. I do pay for the product, but I'm not yet ready to try explaining this to a Level-1 help desk tech.

Best of luck,

- Steve

Oct 16, 2011 3:54 PM in response to RSteveKadish

Fortunately I've just taught myself how to create custom firewall rules. You'll require the following ports from the Apple KB.

• TCP (Outbound) 123 and 3689
        • UDP (Both) 123 and 5353

1. Go to advanced firewall settings
  2. Under the firewall profile you use, go to system services
  3. Manage user system rules
  4. Input these port numbers (Each rule can include more than 1 port number inputs by separating numbers with a comma
  5. As for the remote addresses, enter your remote I.P. could be like 192.168.2.222 or so into the remote address box. (If your router assigns a new number each session, assign an I.P. for your computer via the router's default gateway so that the number stays each session.
  6. After you've done the above, restart.
  7. Does it help?

Nov 14, 2011 6:45 PM in response to Encrypted11

Looking through my AVG logs, it appeared that port 5353 was the only one being blocked. Once I opened that single UDP port, it has started working fine. Now to see if my device gets assigned a new IP address from tim to time. If so I'll do like you say and have the router always assign the same address, or just open up a small range of address in the rule.

How do I allow Wi-Fi sync through AVG Firewall (AVG Internet Security 2012)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.