Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Newsstand Syncing

Does anyone know how to sync the newsstand between the iphone 4 and the ipad. Is this even possible?

Newsstand-OTHER, iOS 5, syncing between devices

Posted on Oct 13, 2011 6:42 PM

12 replies

Oct 13, 2011 9:12 PM in response to kgofswg1973

Well to answer my own question. I noticed that on my iPad app store there are more choice then the on the iPhone store. If you download a magazine that is compatible with both the iPhone and iPad then they automatically sync (given that you have automatic downloads for apps turned on in the settings). If the magazine is for iPad only then it will not download to the iPhone. What a bummer. Looks like I'll be sticking with Zinio longer than I wanted. If they could get it right then why can't apple. SMH

Oct 22, 2011 5:17 AM in response to Decks00

Yeah, I thought I could just pick up my iPhone and read MacFormat from where I left it on my iPad but I can't get it to work. All I seem to get is the MacFormat app in newsstand, showing the issue purchased as a new issue issue awaiting purchase!

I had thought I'd try and repurchase it in the hope that it would say 'you already own this' and then have it added to the newsstand library — but I've chickened out so far.

Nov 1, 2011 2:50 AM in response to seemara

I've been able to fond out what to do — on the device that you want to add the purchased magazine onto, select it and purchase it. During the purchase, iTunes will say you've already bought this and do you wish to download it for free. Select yes and that the mag ready to go on that device. The only problem is that neither will be synced and when opened up to read from the place last read will not sync either. But at least you will not be billed twice, just don't do what I did — I bought this months issue of MacFormat then discovered I'd bought the dead tree edition before! Twit!

Nov 1, 2011 11:10 AM in response to morayshire

Thank you for being the guinea pig in testing your theory. I thought about doing what you did, but did not feel I should have to risk buying the same thing twice just to achieve something that iOS is supposed to be doing for me already.

So for the record, it appears - as morayshire's experiment demonstrates, if you purchase an item on the newsstand store you may have to manually download it to each of your devices on the same account, but you should not have to pay for it more than once.

Nov 29, 2011 3:24 AM in response to morayshire

Taking the NY Times as an example, the iPhone and iPad versions are two quite different animals and I have downloaded them separately. Form the little I know of app creation, it wouldn't be particualrly straightforward to sync between the two. Reading an article on one device might not necessarily register in the same way as reading on the other and therefore the put-down-pick-up feature, though desirable, is probably a future development.

Newsstand Syncing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.