Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do iWork documents sync to iCloud

Hello,

So I have updated my iPAD2 to iOS5. I also decided iCloud was a big enough reason to buy iWork (from app store) for both MAC and iPad. I guess I do not understand how this works. But in the iCloud keynote, they pretty much show you doing something on your iPad, swivel chairing over to your MAC, and there it is.

So I coverted a few XLS to NUMBERS on my MAC. How and when, and will I see them on my iPAD and vice versa? Is it only when you create something on your iPAD that you will see it back on your MAC? That seems sort of idiotic. I would want to most likely create on my MAC and have it on the go. For instance, budgets, letters, etc...

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.1), 27" i5

Posted on Oct 13, 2011 8:19 PM

16 replies

Oct 13, 2011 9:27 PM in response to Carolyn Samit

Yes, i have iCloud selected on the iPad and iMac both. When I went to iCloud.com I saw an presentation I opened at work earlier today. However, The documents I worked with on my iMAC tonight are not synchronized anywhere.

Is it possible to wirelessly sync documents to your devices via iCloud or while on home network via iTunes? Or is it only documents you get via email and open in iWork for iOS that will sync to iCloud?

If this is the case... then I do not get iCloud. I could email myself documents BEFORE iCloud. What is the point of iCloud if the documents you work with do not sync to iCloud for you to then find on your iPad?

Oct 13, 2011 10:27 PM in response to vincentfromtaipei

vincentfromtaipei wrote:

I have the same question. How can I sync my Mac iWork documents to iCloud?

You don't. You can only use your browser, point it to www.icloud.com/iwork and drag and drop documents from the desktop the there. You also use this portal to download what iOS iwork has uploaded there.

iWork v9.1 on OSX Lion 10.7.2 has ZERO icloud functionality. Syncing across devices is limited only to iOS5 iwork v.1.5 apps.

Nov 29, 2011 3:37 PM in response to Community User

That's what I thought. In an unusual application of drap and drop it will work.

Open up the iCloud page and then go to iWork. There are tabs across the top for Keynote, Pages, and Numbers.

Now in another window or tab open up your iWork Beta shared documents page.

Download the document you are interested in, be it Pages, Numbers, or Keynote to your desktop.

Now you can drag that document right on top of Safari in the appropriate tab. Pages documents must go to Pages, Numbers to Numbers, etc...The document will automatically upload. Alternatively, the gear icon will let you upload a document, but you have to navigate to its location.

A placeholder icon then appears in the iCloud page. It can't be downloaded or modified until you access it with an iOS5 version of Pages, Numbers, or Keynote from an iPhone or an iPad. This converts the icon to a usable document which can be downloaded from the web page as a Pages, pdf, or word document, or as Numbers, pdf or Excel, or as Keynote, pdf or Powerpoint.

So I agree it doesn't make sense, it is certainly not how I would have designed it, but for now it is a workaround that will allow all of your iWork Beta documents to be transferrred and accessible to the iCloud.

see the full discussion at https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3392609?answerId=16456216022#16456216022

Nov 29, 2011 3:56 PM in response to Randolph Cohen

As I said, drag and drop isn't working for me. I can drag it, but as soon as I drop it, the document vanishes and it is nowhere on the icloud site. Also there is no gear or sprocket icon on my site so I think there is something wrong with the site itself, not something I can or should do different. Someone at Apple needs to look at my site and fix it. Unless you know how to make the site functional??

Feb 6, 2012 7:05 PM in response to DJChad

Well, I have found out how to really sync your iWork documents between mac-ipad-iphone. There is a folder which is hidden in the library. All documents in that folder behave like the ones on the ipad/iphone. If you edit it, a few seconds later that new version is updated on the idevices. Awesome. It's not an official feature but I think it's the feature what we have expected. I guess it will become offical eventually. The folder is callde "Mobile Documents" in your user library. I pulled it in the finder sidebar for quick access. Bear in mind that this is experimental stuff.

Feb 6, 2012 9:07 PM in response to papalapapp

I have found that works pretty well. Except when I select FILE, SAVE VERSION... I get this folder structure instead of a .pages, .numbers, .keynote file. I have no idea then where the REAL file is stored and typically have to start over, hope it shows up on iPAD/iPhone to edit and force a sync backwards, OR save somewhere else, and then copy into the "mobile Docs" folder when ready to load into the Cloud.

Its hard when coming from office to iWork to NOT constantly want to SAVE, SAVE, SAVE, and SAVE again. 🙂

how do iWork documents sync to iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.