Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The Reading List does what now??

I thought this would be a useful new iOS 5 feature, until I realized you couldn't use it offline. Instead, I'm trying to figure out how the Add to Reading List feature in Safari is any different from bookmarks? They're even located in the same area? Just seems useless, but wanted to hear opinions on whether anyone else has found a good use for it?

iPhone 4 32 GB, Windows XP Pro

Posted on Oct 13, 2011 9:16 PM

4 replies

Nov 20, 2011 7:16 AM in response to DividedSky25

I completely agree. I thought I could add articles to it and then be able to read them on the subway when I'm underground with no internet connection. This "feature" seems to be broken. Why would I need to access the internet to find the article and then need to access the internet again to read it later?? It makes no sense. Your phone or other device should be able to store the text/images assuming that you have enough available free memory space. Apple please fix!! Don't let things fall apart already!

Nov 20, 2011 7:21 AM in response to DividedSky25

Instead of just using Reading Lists to save, lets say a news article you were reading and couldn't finish, you can use Reading Lists as a way to temporarily bookmark a page without making a true bookmark. Since the Reading List feature just saves the link to the page it can be very useful.

You can start using reading list frequently for queuing up lots of pages to read instead of having tons of tabs open.

Nov 20, 2011 9:52 PM in response to DividedSky25

I completely agree as well. It does the exact same thing as a bookmark, which is to say that it is redundant. I guess you could feebly say that these bookmarks are easier to erase, but come on. There is no reason why it can't save a certain number of all-text pages to the phone to be read in off-line mode. I assume that $$ is the reason why it doesn't do this. Boo.

The Reading List does what now??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.