Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Anyone guess what is wrong with this battery issue?

A couple of weeks ago I noticed something unusual... it showed "not charging" in the indicator instead of a percentage... I just never seen it show up like that but it was shown that way at 93%...so I wasn't too worried. I was told to calibrated my battery. Before I calibrated my battery I let it drop down to 85% and it wouldn't recharge at all until after a while and it did start to charge, although slowly and not consistently (went from green to orange). Then I let it drain all the way and it recharged up fine and showed the steady orange. I noticed when I would use it since then it'd never show it recharging back up like it used to ("trickle")... but when I put my computer to sleep and woke it up I noticed it had recharged and whatnot. Maybe I didn't calibrate it right? I don't think I let it sleep for 5 hours. But I'm not sure if that will even fix the problem. I cleaned the magsafe adapter and the connector just in case but I don't think a dirty adapter is the problem. Something makes me think something's wrong with the logic board or battery? Am I jumping to conclusions? I didn't touch the computer after last Sunday and when I woke the computer up on Wednesday it showed "Not Charging" at 82%...I let it drop to 75% and it still says not charging with a green light. Great. 😟 I don't know what to do...I think mine is a built in battery MBP so I don't even know how to check it. I've only had this computer for 17 months. Should I trust local repairs to look at my computer? I don't really have a lot to spend... I have never been mobile with it so it's fine as a desktop but it's not ideal, especially if you were to lose it if you were working on it. I've already tried the SMC and it did nothing...unless I didn't do it right... anyone else know what I could do to try to fix the problem on my own? I'm worried about recalibrating it and it not charging back up, probably won't happen but it's in the back of my mind of constant worry. 😀

Here's my info:

Model Information:

Serial Number: W0013XXXXBX0A

Manufacturer: SMP

Device name: bqXXXX51

Pack Lot Code: 0000

PCB Lot Code: 0000

Firmware Version: 0201

Hardware Revision: 000a

Cell Revision: 0157

Charge Information:

Charge remaining (mAh): 4638

Fully charged: No

Charging: No

Full charge capacity (mAh): 6251

Health Information:

Cycle count: 31

Condition: Normal

Battery Installed: Yes

Amperage (mA): -15

Voltage (mV): 11850

< Edited By Host >

Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Oct 13, 2011 10:20 PM

1 reply

Oct 14, 2011 8:49 AM in response to greyskiesblack

Ok here are my recommendations for your consideration:

Goto the “apple “on your top menu bar. Click 1stoption (About this Mac) a small screen will appear

andclick on “More Info...which will take to a large another smallscreen with Mac Book Pro in huge

letterslike this: MacBookPro.

Nextgo the “Systems Report” button: press.

NextUnder “Hardware” on the left you'll see “Power” click that.Volia the battery info

Nowlets do an analysis of the info: here's mine a 2 mo. Old 17” MBP:

ModelInformation:

SerialNumber: ****************** (not shown by me)

Manufacturer: DP

DeviceName: ******************(not shown by me)

PackLot Code: 0

PCBLot Code: 0

FirmwareVersion: 406

HardwareRevision: 1

CellRevision: 1102

ChargeInformation:

ChargeRemaining (mAh): 7806

FullyCharged: No

Charging: Yes

FullCharge Capacity (mAh): 8488

HealthInformation:

CycleCount: 17

Condition: Normal

BatteryInstalled: Yes

Amperage(mA): 2131

Voltage(mV): 12534

OK under“Charge Information” you see my MBP currently at 7806mAh (mstands Milli

which is 10 tothe -3 power) which translates to 7.806 Amp hours in non-techiespeak. As you see on mine Full Charge Capacity is 8.488 Amp hours.

Ok under healthyou see my cycle count is 17. Your very low cycle count 31 reflects that you are not “conditioning” your battery by runningit on battery till 5 minute warning or going to sleep and then fullyrecharging it! You've had it ~18 mo. And your dooming your battery to a short life.

Condition your battery for a long life.

Please notethis is a super battery 2.131 Amps @ 12.534Volts which Apple sayswill last 7 hours. Real world experience is significantly less withLion OS installed.

I am aregistered Apple Developer and sorta a hardware guru and builtmy first computer in the early '70's from scratch. I program also inmost languages but prefer CLI (Command Line Interface) through “AppleTerminal” which I program the actual i7 microprocessor and theGPU(Graphics Processor Unit) . Try the “terminal” but cautionwith the “sudo” command. Of course machine code, morespecifically, BSD(a flavor of UNIX) is what's under Apple's AQUA GUI(pronounced ”goo-ee”) is the (Graphical User Interface).

USAF Captain served as the USAFLiaison Officer at Dallas Naval Air Station (now closed) and WISP (Wartime Information Security Program) USAF Captain.

All of theabove and a dollar won't buy you a cup of coffee -=).

Let 'er rip and

cheers...

Anyone guess what is wrong with this battery issue?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.