Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to make iCloud alias behave like a default email

Hello,

I use iCloud alias and I want my iPhone to use it as "From" address every time I compose a new mail. Is there a way to make it default?

Thanks in advance.

Dawid

iPhone 4, 16 GB

Posted on Oct 14, 2011 1:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 5, 2017 6:15 PM

It's possible dude. Follow these steps

icloud.com > Mail > Settings > Preferences > Composing

And here you can set a default address, so you don't have to change you address each time you compose a mail

Regards,

Muhammad Fahim

28 replies

Oct 16, 2011 10:21 AM in response to Davvido

I know... I want the default to be assigned to my alias instead of my main @me.com email account. I know I can manually change the email address it will be sent from when I compose and email but I need it to be used all the time (especially when the emails are sent automatically by my iphone - examples: when sending a contact card or a photo, you don't have the opportunity to change the email as no email windows pops up... the email is sent in the background using your main @me.com address..... This can be changed on the online www.icloud.com mail application but only when you compose emails on the web interface.

Oct 16, 2011 10:23 AM in response to Davvido

Thanks!!!

I feel like a complete idiot... the fact is that I DID try this yesterday (as this was the way to do with mobile me) and my alias would not appear in the list...

I just retried it, and now it is available..

thanks again! I am looking forward to find how to set it by default, as it was possible with mobile me...

Oct 17, 2011 7:46 PM in response to emdur3

Use the OTHER option instead of iCloud or MobileMe. Use the alias as the email address. Incoming mail server is mail.me.com. User name and password is your primary acct name. Outgoing server is smtp.mail.com.

This will allow you to send mail from alias. You will continue to receive mail for all aliases and the primary.

Oct 23, 2011 2:54 PM in response to mdup01

@Dbehn~~Thanks so much for that tip! Manually changing it for EVERY email was killing me!

@mdup01~What do you mean it won't be push?? I just did the workaround and it seems to be pushing to my device. Maybe I don't understand what push is because I can do all that I was able to do when I was going directly through the icloud email account.

Oct 25, 2011 6:49 AM in response to dbehn

Sorry for all the questions but this is really bugging me and now I'm getting this message when using the alias that I set up the account for: "A copy has been placed in your Outbox. The sender address was rejected by the server"

I turned off "mail" in the main iCloud account so that I don't keep getting duplicates to the phone. Any idea how to resolve this??

Oct 27, 2011 8:44 AM in response to izzy35

What do you mean it won't be push?? I just did the workaround and it seems to be pushing to my device. Maybe I don't understand what push is because I can do all that I was able to do when I was going directly through the icloud email account.

You likely have a Fetch interval enabled as well (Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Fetch New Data). So you're seeing your new mail, but it is being fetched instead of pushed. If you set the Fetch interval to Manually, you won't receive any email until you actually view your Inbox.

@ izzy35

You need to enter your main account identity in the IMAP and SMTP server settings. Using an alias in those fields will result in the error you're getting.

How to make iCloud alias behave like a default email

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.