Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Play count not updating via home sharing

Yes the setting is ticked on my PC to say update play count. I have the most recent iTunes as of 14/10/11

Checked the play count on my PC in this particular case 19 plays.

Played that song via home sharing on another PC a few times, went back to my PC and the play count is still 19.

Any thoughts?

iTunes for Windows-OTHER, Windows Vista

Posted on Oct 14, 2011 1:57 AM

7 replies

Oct 24, 2011 11:48 AM in response to SSJAK

I have the same, just bumping this in case there's an answer...

I have the update setting checked in iTunes Preferences, but the last played date stays the same on the sharing Mac after playing something streamed to another Mac.

Also noticed that the "Last Played" date doesn't show up as a data option for the Mac being streamed to...

Oct 24, 2011 12:17 PM in response to SSJAK

Are you sure you have Home Sharing set up correctly. I did not,

"Home Sharing" under the "Advanced Menu" and "Share my Library on my local network" under Preferences / Sharing are two different parameters. Un select "Share My Library on my local network". To get the play counts to update when playing songs in a shared library you have to have Home Sharing enabled with the same Apple ID on both computers or devices and under Preferences / Sharing you need to have the box checked for "Home Sharing computers update play counts"

Oct 24, 2011 1:33 PM in response to whafrog

Well , that is what I always used before. I finally called Apple Support since I just bought a new Mac and I have free support for three months. That is where I got the info. The terminology they use is very confusing. "Share My Library" is only for just that, read only access the way I understand it. "Home Sharing" is complete full access with the ability to import songs from the shared library etc, update play counts etc. Support knew right away what the problem was but he had a hard time beating it into my thick head. I finally understood it.

Oct 25, 2011 2:47 AM in response to remnett

So your saying that in my "home" the second computer or device sharing my itunes library has to be signed in with my Apple ID? It seems a little strange that they would have to sign in with my ID, kind of defeats the point.

Under preferences it was already ticked as "Home Sharing computers update play counts"

Oct 25, 2011 3:18 AM in response to SSJAK

I understand your point. I believe that they need to change their terminology.

The check box "Home Sharing Computers Update Play Counts" check box should not even be located where it is since it is not relivant to "Share My Library". "Home Sharing" and "Share My Library" are two different things and the fact that both contain the words "Share" and "Library" is very confusing to someone who has never used either. After reading some of the postings in this forum it is evident that other people do not know they are different.

Perhaps they need a window to configure "Home Sharing" where the "Home Sharing Computers Update Play Counts" checkbox and "Turn on Home Sharing" checkbox would reside and also a place where you can enter your Apple ID and Password. This gives full R/W , import access to other users on Home sharing,

Then there could be a separate place where you can turn on access to your library to enable other computers on the network read only access to play your library, which is essentially what "Share My Library" really is, and they could call it "Allow Play Only Access to songs in your library"

Jan 3, 2014 6:21 PM in response to SSJAK

I too had the same issue, and discovered the issue to be based on the following settings error:

"Home Sharing" under the "Advanced Menu" and "Share my Library on my local network" under Preferences / Sharing are two different parameters. Un select "Share My Library on my local network". To get the play counts to update when playing songs in a shared library you have to have Home Sharing enabled with the same Apple ID on both computers or devices and under Preferences / Sharing you need to have the box checked for "Home Sharing computers update play counts"

This magically fixed my problems. Everything updates correctly now.

Play count not updating via home sharing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.