Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Location Services always ON with Auto Date/Time/Timezone ON

iOS5 lets you see the Location Services (LS) indicator in the Status Bar when system services are using LS in addition to when apps are using LS. I turned this ON (Settings > Location Services > System Services > Status Bar Icon) and immediately saw that "Setting Time Zone" was using LS.

I went into Settings > General > Date & Time and saw that "Set Automatically" was ON. As soon as I turned it OFF the LS indicator disappeared.

Does this mean that LS is always ON when you've got auto Date & Time on? It looks like that to me...

Anyone else seeing this? I wonder whether this is an iOS5 bug or whether it's always behaved like this?

Thanks

Tim

Posted on Oct 14, 2011 4:14 AM

14 replies

Nov 10, 2011 12:52 PM in response to Tim Pentreath

A couple weeks ago I noticed that my location services arrow on my iPad2 was always on at the top of the home screen too. When I looked through the settings to see why, I noticed that it's because of 'Setting Time Zone'. If I toggle that setting off/on, then it goes away, but will come back on. It seems to go off too if I turn on 3G.

I was thinking that the iOS 5.0.1 would fix this, but just updated and tried it and it's still on.

Were you able to resolve this issue or have any ideas what is keeping it on?

I guess I can turn off setting time zone, but would rather not.

Thanks

Nov 27, 2011 6:20 AM in response to GradyD

Sorry, but this doesn't fix the problem.

It simply resets the location setting and turns off the location status bar display. If you re-enable the location status bar, the setting time zone remains active. Without activating the status bar display, you can still see the setting time zone service active in Settings > Location Services > System Services (shown as a purple location icon next to the setting).

Dec 24, 2011 11:44 PM in response to GradyD

In my case, it was my reminders that were causing it. I had location-based daily reminders set, and turning them off solved the issue. Kinda made sense once I thought about it. You tell it "do this when I get to here," and it does its best to know exactly when you're "here." Funny dilemma there - save my battery or stay on top of the things I want you to remember for me.

Dec 25, 2011 11:51 AM in response to Tim Pentreath

I am not sure if this will help but for some reason I don't have the said problem any more after I had to reset all settings for some reason. I checked if location service was used by automatic time zone recently, and it haven't.

Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings

Remember, it will reset everything. Apps will ask permission for push notifications, location services, etc., but none of your data will be erased.

I didn't find doing this to be a problem, but just letting you know.

Jan 3, 2012 4:28 PM in response to Tim Pentreath

Hi All,

I checked my friend's IPHONE 4S. Date & Time->Set Automatically is set to ON and in Location Services-> Setting Time Zone is set to On but it does not use GPS regularly but my Phone does I have tried everything Setup as new, erase all setting, reset all settings, reset network settings and restore from BACKUP. My Problem is persitent. The Only difference I notice in my mobile and friend's mobile is that he bought from Saudi Arabia and I bought from Australia (though it has been swaped by genious bar). He is using Telstra and I am using Vodafone. both has 9A406.

Hard to figure out what is this?

Thanks

Location Services always ON with Auto Date/Time/Timezone ON

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.