Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I want my home screen to be app-free. Possible?

I realize that in many ways I'm not exactly normal and maybe I should seek professional help. And that might be why I prefer to have my home screen devoid of apps. An empty home screen has worked great for me until IOS 5. Now, if I sync or power-cycle my iPhone, the blank home screen is gone and the next screen has become my new home screen. Is there a way to keep the home screen empty as shown below? Does anybody else care?User uploaded file

Posted on Oct 14, 2011 5:44 AM

19 replies

Oct 17, 2011 1:43 AM in response to StanFrancisco

I want to know what has changed in ios5 that is causing this. I also use a blank home screen but its automatically changing the layout all the time - so even when I set a blank page, it automatically resets to the first full page of icons when I plug the phone into my latop - but its also doing it at times when the phone is just in standby.

This is very annoying.

Oct 18, 2011 4:51 PM in response to StanFrancisco

You're as normal as everyone else (or at least like those who want a blank home screen like me). I tried a couple of old shortcuts to get a blank home screen and none of them work with iOS 5. If you leave a single icon on the home screen it will stick there even after a sync or reboot but I would prefer a completely blank home screen like I had under iOS 4.x. Anyone listening Apple?

Oct 19, 2011 4:54 AM in response to PapaPom

PapaPom, thank you for the affirmation. Like you, I want to think this isn't an unreasonable request. In the interim, I have reluctantly acquiesced to leaving a single icon on my home screen (as you suggest) until Apple is willing to accommodate those of us who prefer a totally blank home screen.

And Apple, if you’re actually listening, I might suggest that you really wouldn’t need to radically redesign the algorithm that removes all blank screens. For example, you could simply add a ‘Blank Home Screen Default’ toggle option to Wallpaper settings. It’s not that complicated and would demonstrate your sensitivity to those of us who don’t fit into a traditionally well-defined box. It’s just a thought anyway.

Oct 19, 2011 7:36 PM in response to StanFrancisco

I had same issue and liked the unique look of actually being able to see my wallpaper before iOS 5. My apps move when I reboot. Moving the apps in iTunes doesn't work so I figure, before you power off or sync, move 1 app into the home screen to "save the space" and move it back after booting or syncing. Doesn't fix the problem but I would rather move 1 app rather than all. Gonna try it now and hope it works.

Nov 6, 2011 10:00 AM in response to kstoneman

I can understand how some of the Apple geniuses might have not have known that we enjoyed a totally blank screen in the past. I get that. But what troubles me is that they have been completely unresponsive to the discussions now that they are aware. To be honest, it's been more than a little disillusioning about the Apple mystic and their historical interest in us, their user community. C'est la vie.

Nov 8, 2011 11:22 AM in response to StanFrancisco

I'll add my voice of discontent to the chorus. While I love all things Apple, the notion that I cannot control this seemingly basic and innocuous aspect of my phone is ridiculous.

What does Apple care how I arrange my icons? For me, it's not just aesthetics, but practicality.

But regardless of my reasons, or anyone elses, it's obvious that there are many of us who did this in the past and who really are annoyed that this has been taken away, even if it was inadvertent on Apple's part.

Nov 11, 2011 6:23 AM in response to PapaPom

PapaPom wrote:

I upgraded to 5.0.1 earlier this afternoon and tried making my home screen blank. All the icons come back on a reboot so nothing has changed in 5.0.1.

Unfortunately, I will have to agree. If you reboot the phone, the icons are back into the first page. In iOS4 it did not have this issue and even when I reboot the phone, first page still remains blank. This defeats the purpose of viewing my wallpaper. All my friends have it set up this way for the purpose of viewing wallpapers.

I guess the only solution is to not turn off your phone at all.

I want my home screen to be app-free. Possible?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.