Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot send message using the server iCloud (iCloud)

Connections to the server "p08-smtp.mail.me.com" on the default ports times out.

Select a different outgoing mail server from the list below or click Try Layer to leave the message in your Outbox until if can be sent;

Sending from: <Name> <emailaddress@me.com>

That's the message I see when I try to send mail from my iCloud mail, using the Mail App.

When I click on connection doctor, it doesn't identify any problems.

I have had this problem ever since I upgraded osx and created my iCloud account (I didnt have a me.com email address before).

Everything was setup automatically by iCloud. The only thing I picked was my id.

Can someone tell me how I can get mail to actually send mail through my iCloud account?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Oct 14, 2011 7:10 AM

19 replies

Nov 4, 2017 6:23 AM in response to KeanuReeves

I had the same problem but today is 2017-11-04 and I am running macOS 10.13 (High Sierra) on a 2017 MacBook Pro 15".

I tried the two top suggestions in this string with no luck. I previously have deleted my iCloud account all together and reconnected it, with no luck.

To fix I just disabled the iCloud mail account by going to System Preferences > Internet Accounts > "iCloud" and unchecking the mail from the list. I waited a few minutes and from the mail.app preferences pane I chose the Accounts tab and picked my iCloud account from the list on the left then I clicked the "Enable this account" checkbox.

NOW IT WORKS!

Go figure... Ugh!

Oct 14, 2011 8:01 AM in response to KeanuReeves

Believe it not I think I just solved my similar problem. It seems a scary fix but it does work. Before you try my listed fix open Mail and make sure you have all your email from your Inbox saved locally on your Mac. So nothing should be listed in the Inbox. After you have moved everything from the Inbox then precede with my possible fix.

1. In Mail open Mail's Preferences and write down all the email server settings (to paper or a text file) because in the next step they will be blown away.

2. While still in Mail Preferences highlight the iCloud Account. In the Outgoing Mail Server(SMTP) use the edit function and use the - symbol to delete ALL SMTP server accounts (don't worry OS X will recreate this automatically). Once all SMTP account are delete proceed to step three.

3. After step 2, delete all the Accounts out of Mail then QUIT Mail!

4. Next open up System Preferences->iCloud (Make sure you are singed in and REMEMBER the name/password you used to sign in) and (once signed in) put a checkmark 'Mail & Notes". Then go back into the main System Preferences pane and select "Mail &Accounts". In that pane also put a checkmark in "Mail & Notes".

5. Open Mail and Mail's Menu items select 'Window", 'Connection Doctor' and make sure you get all Green dots on iCloud. If you get all Green dot by iCloud click on the red connection doctor menu bar to close it. Then open Mail's Preferences-Accounts and push the + button to add your other email servers information back in.

After these steps you shoud open Mail's Preferences again and tweak the email keeping sent messaages for days, weeks, etc. Just do mess with the SMTP server settings again. Hopefully this fix will work for your problem because it just worked for me. Good luck.

Oct 14, 2011 8:10 AM in response to KeanuReeves

I have the same problem. What I did to fix it (temporary) was to add alternative smtp servers both in Mail.app and on my iPhone.

p01-smtp.mail.me.com

p03-smtp.mail.me.com

p04-smtp.mail.me.com

Those work for me. I gues it depends on where you are. But the issue remains and I both send and receive messages very slowly.

Oct 14, 2011 8:58 AM in response to Community User

Here is what I did:

I added a new smtp server to the list: p01-smtp.mail.me.com

I selected custom port, and chose 587 (I still had the error prior to doing this).

In accounts, I changed iCloud to use this server, and I checked "Use only this server".

Now I can send mail.

But this entire thing seems really stupid. The default settings which are created by iCloud when you create your account should work. But they don't. In fact, you can't even see the settings for the iCloud smtp server since it isn't part of the server list.

Also, during this process, when I manually keyed in the server name, I received a warning saying that the server for smtp.mail.me.com does not match (it turned out to say smtp.me.com). That is when I decided to try p01-smtp.mail.me.com.

This means that if you follow the instructions here: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4864

you receive a warning about the certificate!

Oct 15, 2011 1:19 PM in response to prbrasc

Thanks for letting us know. I'm getting a call from Apple Support at 5:15PM to find out what is going on too. The status page still says that all the servers are working fine but I'm not seeing any improvement since Tuesday!

I can understand rollout problems for a new service but at least factually report whether or not the system is having problems so those of us don't waste hours trying to troubleshoot our own systems!

Cannot send message using the server iCloud (iCloud)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.