10 Replies Latest reply: Oct 16, 2011 3:20 AM by danielcallen
danielcallen Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)

Hi everyone,

I'm 17 and I got a PowerBook G4 15" as a present in the Summer, (my first Mac!!), it was a previously owned one, (by a friend) and it came with Adobe CS3 (which was good) and with a new power cable.

Anyway, the friend delivered it while I was at work, and Dad set it up and installed stuff, updated stuff I think, etc.

• I bought iWork '09 for it, (which is brilliant).

• And I did a load of research and found that you needed an Intel mac for iLife, but I seem to remember that there was one of the applications that you didn't need Intel? Does anyone know?

• And I was wondering what other upgrades/updates I could get/do etc.?

• For some reason, after a while the chess game (that was in Applications folder when I got it), had a 'no entry sign' over the icon, so I deleted it (unfortunately). And I would just like to know if anyone knows where I could get a download for it? Or if it is possible?

• And I have got Football Managers 2007, 2008 & 2010. I have tried FM 2008 (which works brilliantly, but FM 2010 installs fine, but when finished has a 'no entry sign' on it. Any ideas??

• I created an iChat account: I had to make an "example@mac.com" address, (which I created through apple somehow, can't remember, but it was complicated). Anyway was wondering if I could use my "example@mac.com" address as a mailbox, (to send and receive e-mails from?)

• I recently create a developer account, and I think that you need an Intel mac for that too, just wondering if I could make safari extensions with my mac?

• I am designing a web-site for my business, and it is going well, managed to hook it with my web-host, the links and pages work, but my photos don't appear, (just an outline of the photo size and possition, but no phot, just  does anyone know what to do? Should I upload my photos to the web first (e.g. Flickr) and then have a link from there to my web-site so that my photos are shown? Wouldn't know how to do that, Dad just suggested that. ??

• I think, but don't know, that I have got Leopard, but it's quite like snow leopard. (Pretty sure it's just Leopard), would it be possible to upgrade? And how could I do it?

• And finally, could anyone recommend the "Time Capsule"? As I am dying to get one but just need some recommendations!

Any help/suggestions/comments/answers would be much appreciated!

ATB

Daniel

Here is what it says in my 'About This Mac' window:

Mac info.jpg

PowerBook, Mac OS X (10.5.8)
  • Braby Level 4 Level 4 (1,795 points)

Daniel I'll keep this brief! Others may disagree but I really wouldn't advise throwing very much money at this machine. I'm afraid it is now struggling to stay afloat in an Intel world. Leopard 10.5.8 (not Snow Leopard) is the last OS you can run on it and support for even that is diminishing all the time. I know because I have exactly the same model that you have and these days it pretty much lives under the bed while my MacBook gets on with the real work. If you got it free then fine, enjoy it for what it is, but as a serious tool - especially for business - forget it.

I now open the debate to the floor......

• danielcallen Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)

Braby wrote:

Daniel I'll keep this brief! Others may disagree but I really wouldn't advise throwing very much money at this machine. I'm afraid it is now struggling to stay afloat in an Intel world. Leopard 10.5.8 (not Snow Leopard) is the last OS you can run on it and support for even that is diminishing all the time. I know because I have exactly the same model that you have and these days it pretty much lives under the bed while my MacBook gets on with the real work. If you got it free then fine, enjoy it for what it is, but as a serious tool - especially for business - forget it.

I now open the debate to the floor......

Thanks for the brief suggestion, I totally agree.

Thanks for the info on my OS. Will have to get a new Mac, just need to save up, but this PowerBook is in good shape, so could keep it for younger brother & sister.

Any more suggestions?

The only other things from your questions that I know enough about to reply to:

1) You can't have created a .mac account recently - except for those who already had them they were replaced by .me accounts ages ago and even that option  has now been discontinued for new subscribers with the advent of iCloud. You would certainly know if you had a .me (or.mac) account as you had to pay a subscription. If however you do have such an account then yes that is a valid e-mail address which you can use as you wish.

2) I have not heard great things about Time Capsule though admittedly that was in the early days - they may have improved. If all you want it for is to back up your stuff then frankly I would just use the Time Machine feature in Leopard in connection with an external drive. Although cruder this will be a fraction of the price of a Time Capsule.

Edit: I really must keep up! Signing up to iCloud includes a free me.com e-mail address so perhaps this is what you mean by a "mac.com" address? Anyway its certainly there if you want it - and you no longer have to pay for it

which is nice!

Braby wrote:

Edit: I really must keep up! Signing up to iCloud includes a free me.com e-mail address so perhaps this is what you mean by a "mac.com" address? Anyway its certainly there if you want it - and you no longer have to pay for it

which is nice!

Hi Braby,

I have definitly got an @mac.com, (not @me.com) I don't pay anything, I don't have a mailbox or anything else with it, except I can use it for my iChat.

iCloud is another reason to get an intel mac!

Well not that it matters but I'm mystified! As I said .mac accounts are legacy addresses from before it all changed to .me. If I go to iChat and select "setup account" it does indeed ask if the account is .me or .mac. However if I select "get an iChat account" to start as a new user it just links to an Apple website page that says:

We're sorry.

We can't find the article you're looking for.

Please return to the Apple Support homepage.

So I can't see how you could start a new.mac account.

Still however you did it I guess the best way is to try setting up a mail account with your .mac address and see if it works.

Braby wrote:

Well not that it matters but I'm mystified! As I said .mac accounts are legacy addresses from before it all changed to .me. If I go to iChat and select "setup account" it does indeed ask if the account is .me or .mac. However if I select "get an iChat account" to start as a new user it just links to an Apple website page that says:

We're sorry.

We can't find the article you're looking for.

Please return to the Apple Support homepage.

So I can't see how you could start a new.mac account.

Still however you did it I guess the best way is to try setting up a mail account with your .mac address and see if it works.

Yes, I remember doing that, and seeing "We're sorry etc." But I did it some other way. Will try and find it!

(I have also used my 'example@mac.com' for another apple account.)

I HAVE FOUND IT!!! Only took 2 mins though: Here is there page that I set it up:

https://appleid.apple.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/MyAppleId.woa/wa/createAppleId?crea teacctype=lite&userid=dmac

Well goodness me. Thanks for that - you came with questions and have ended up giving answers! You seem to have found a back door. I'm now going to attempt to sign up for a separate iChat account myself and see if the .mac address can indeed be used for e-mail. I always regretted letting my original .mac account lapse as I think it sounds better and less egocentric than .me!

Update:

I couldn't make it work. Went all the way through the sign-up process but at the end the page continually refreshed to the last stage asking for the confirmation series of letters to be entered. I'm not doubting you managed to sign up this way but I can't replicate it. This looks like an orphan page that has somehow got left on the system.

We shouldn't really be clogging up the discussions with this stuff so I'll leave it there, but it has been an interesting diversion.........

Braby wrote:

Update:

I couldn't make it work. Went all the way through the sign-up process but at the end the page continually refreshed to the last stage asking for the confirmation series of letters to be entered. I'm not doubting you managed to sign up this way but I can't replicate it. This looks like an orphan page that has somehow got left on the system.

We shouldn't really be clogging up the discussions with this stuff so I'll leave it there, but it has been an interesting diversion.........

Hi Braby,

Sorry to hear that it didn't work, I rememeber I had to try twice though. But it might be disconnected now or something.

Anyway, thanks for your answer, suggestions, advise & question!

ATB

Daniel