Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How I reverted 3.2 library back to 3.1.3

Constant crashes and the need to get my clients work finished called for a little creativity and it really is a simple fix. At least on my old macbook!

Step 1 dug out old version of Aperture and put copy on desk top.

Step 2 tried to open Aperture 3.1.3, no luck! Said library was updated. Grrrrr!!!

Step 3 held down option and apple keys while double clicking AP3.1.3... now we are getting somewhere!

Step 4 Fixed premissions! IT worked !!!! All was good in AP land until I closed and restarted...

Step 5 fix permissions! Grrr.....

Step 6 export sample library and see if it opens nicely in 3.1.3.... Success!!!!!

Step 7 couldnt get back to original library.... had to delete sample library so no others could be found, fixed permissions again and am currently exporting the entire 179 gigs work of work into a new library!

So it is possible to revert!

Open 3.1.3 holding down option and apple

fix permissions

export as new library!

This worked for me and hope it helps others!

now i think I will go back to bed until the new old library is created.......

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Oct 14, 2011 8:23 AM

18 replies

Oct 14, 2011 8:50 AM in response to StephenOrsillo

Good catch! Never thought to try going in through the repair 'back door'.

One thing I found is if you run a library repair rather then a permission repair the library is reverted to 3.1.3 after the repair process and you don;t beeed to do the export step.

Of course as in all things libray make sure you have backed up the 3.2 version before doing this.

again good catch.

Oct 15, 2011 11:21 AM in response to Frank Caggiano

sorry for sounding stupid, but I am in the same boat here-- so, how do you do the library repair? something from within Aperture, or command line or what? And by fixing permissions do you just mean go into the info box and giving myself read/write permissions?

long ago I used to fiddle with Linux, but I am not used to having to worry these things in OSX and usually with Apple products-- I do hope they come up with a fix soon

thanks

Oct 15, 2011 11:32 AM in response to avidone

When you start Aperture 3.1.3, hold down the option and apple (command) buttons as you click the aperture icon. It should bring up a small screen with three options. I only suggest repairing permissions and not the other options, I believe it is the first one in the ilst. Good luck!!!!!

If you do get it open, select everything you can in the left hand column and export as a new library.

ONLY REPAIR PERMISSIONS! If that doesn't work, you may have to rebuild by hand.....

Oct 15, 2011 1:08 PM in response to StephenOrsillo

thanks Stephen-- I had already copied the updated to 3.2 library to a hard disk to back up so I reinstalled 3.1.3 and went ahead and tried the "repair database" thing, hoping to have a chance to avoid all the exporting/rearranging business-- luckily it worked fine and now I am back to all my versions in 3.1.3 as before Apple "fixed" things-- am now making a new vault and will be very cautious about upgrades from now on

Oct 16, 2011 12:39 AM in response to avidone

well, it seems I was (partially) wrong... repairing the database or repairing permissions seems to be enough to OPEN the upgraded library, and even to show it as a 3.1.3 library in the info box, but close APerture and reopen and you are back to the "newer version" warning. I am now trying the export as new library thing.

Oct 17, 2011 6:24 AM in response to StephenOrsillo

This might be helpful if anyone like me didn't have a time machine backup

How to access 3.2 library in 3.1.3 (maybe other version also)

hold down ALT & COMMAND launch Aperture

the 'Aperture Library First Aid' dialog box will appear

Then hit the Cancel button

Aperture will now load the library.

I have noticed a few odd things like some brush adjestments miss alignment but for the most part it works fine

Oct 17, 2011 9:41 AM in response to StephenOrsillo

I've done it! Switched back to 3.1.3!!! It's so easy that I wonder, why nobody has tried this:

Open Aperture 3.1.3 (restored from backup!) by holding down ALT & COMMAND as posted above, then choose the last point "Rebuild Database" - wait, done!

If this shouldn't work directly, try the three points in the troubleshooting-dialog in order (close Aperture after each step):

1. Repair permissions

2. Repair Database

3. Rebuild Database

Now Aperture 3.1.3 opens with the "old", reset library without mourning.

Oct 18, 2011 7:08 AM in response to StephenOrsillo

Another success story, thank you Stephen.

I opened my Aperture 3.1.3 holding down ALT & COMMAND and repaired permissions.

Worked fine until exiting and trying to reopen which produced mismatched library error message.

I opened my Aperture 3.1.3 holding down ALT & COMMAND and repaired library.

Worked fine until exiting and trying to reopen which produced mismatched library error message.

I opened my Aperture 3.1.3 holding down ALT & COMMAND and rebuilt library.

Worked fine until exiting. Did a standard open and I have my library back working perfectly again as it was before the 3.2 upgrade fiasco.

Oct 18, 2011 11:43 AM in response to Gandalf53

Thank you to everyone for this thread.

I had to do exactly what Gandalf53 had to do.

First I used a Time Machine backup of Aperture 3 to get back to version 3.1.3

Then I had to follow all three steps that Gandalf did. Remember to click on the icon in your dock, not the icon in the Applications folder.

I have a 59GB Aperture 3 library and it took just a few minutes, maybe 6 minutes total to do the repair permissions, then the repair library, then the rebuild library.

My cropping issues were this: after straightening an image, then trying to crop it, the photo would appear in its original crooked version and I could not drag the crop box properly because the image I was shown was diagonal.

The other issue was with scrolling. I like to use split view: one large image on top with filmstrip thumbnails below. In 3.1.3 I could mouse over the filmstrip and scroll through the images. In 3.2 scrolling did not work, I had to tilt the scroll wheel, which is a more awkward action and a far, far less accurate way to scroll through the thumbnails.

I am thoroughly relieved to be back to 3.1.3 which has worked great for me...now back to editing last night's family beach portrait session!

How I reverted 3.2 library back to 3.1.3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.