Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IOS5 and Phone Signal Issues

A problem... is there a reason why, since upgrading my iPhone 3GS to IOS5, that my 3G and WIFI signal seems to cut out constantly. When ever I try to use the internet (WIFI or 3G) the phone seems to go into a cycle of 'no signal' 'searching' 'full signal'.

Anyone else had this issue? Any ideas what might be the problem / solution?

iPhone 3GS, iOS 5

Posted on Oct 14, 2011 9:15 AM

61 replies

Oct 15, 2011 8:15 PM in response to stiu1ator

Yes, I'm having the same problem with iphone 4 (AT&T) running iOS 5. Constant cycle of signal connection that lasts about 30 seconds then drops to searching, goes to no service, searching then signal again. Cycle starts again from here. I'm not dropping my wifi signal, it seems to be constant when I'm in a wifi zone.

This issue has made my phone unusable, my Droid friends are finding it quite funny 😟 I'm not!

Oct 16, 2011 6:48 AM in response to stiu1ator

I aqm having the same problem. I have a 3GS phone, but my signal was fine when I was using 4.3.3.....

I have now been without a cell signal now for almost 24 hours. My phone is also used for Business, and this is killing me. My Wifi has no issues, just the cell signal. It toggles between searching, and no service. How can apple get away with this. I am paying for a service, that I am not getting. Hopefully Apple will at least acknowledge this problem, and let us know what are they going to do about this. Apple should pay my cell phone bill, while my Iphone is unable to not get a signal !!!!

Oct 16, 2011 8:00 AM in response to stiu1ator

Had the same signal issue yesterday and couldn't find a solution anywhere. Left my phone sitting on the desk last night (fully charged), woke up this morning and my phone was off because the battery had drained out. So I went into Settings > Location Services > turned that off, voila! Signal 'searching' cycle went away. Then I went into Notification and turned off everything that was uneeded, so all I have left on 'On' are Phone, Messages, Calendar, and Reminder. I'll have to test it out on a full charge and report back on this on to see if it helped with the battery issue. Let me know if this helps!

Oct 16, 2011 8:15 AM in response to stiu1ator

I have done more than one restore. As I see it the only way around this problem for me is to downgrade back to my old firmware. I actually have the old firmware file on my computer, but it will not restore to it only to IOS5.

From what I understand Apple will not allow you to downgrade to your previous version. And why, I don't understand ! At least my phone worked with the older firmware...

Oct 16, 2011 3:04 PM in response to mistopheles

I am having the same bluetooth problem. I did the update to ios 5 on my iPhone 4. The signal is constantly dropping out! Before updating to ios 5 my iPhone 4 worked perfect. The Bluetooth device that I am experiencing This problem with is an Isimple module that I installed in my Silverado's Bose stereo system.I heavily relied on this connection to answer call and listen to audio while driving? Seems like many people are having this problem with a varity of Bluetooth devices and different models of iPhones. Apple are you working on a fix???

Oct 19, 2011 11:51 AM in response to stiu1ator

I'm reporting back on the signal loss issue after upgrading my iPhone 4 (AT&T) to iOS5. Two days after the upgrade my phone got in a signal search loop where it would have a signal, hold it for 30 seconds, drop the signal and enter searching mode, show no signal, and then show a connected signal and start the loop over. This issue made the phone unusable and reduced battery capacity to only a few hours.

To resolve the problem, I did a restore on the device. This immediately made the problem go away. I'm happy to report that now it's been 3 days since I performed the restore and everything is still working fine. If you are experiencing a similar problem, I suggest you do a restore on your device and report back to the forum whether or not is cleared up your issues.

IOS5 and Phone Signal Issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.