Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Crashing Constantly when using ripple and roll tools.

I have faced this issue in the past, but not as constantly as it is happening now. Every time I use the ripple or roll tool, or even if I try

to avoid using them and use my mouse to extend an edit - FCP crashes. I am hardly getting any work done, and obviously am so frustrated.

This has happened to me in the past, on different machines, with different versions of software, but never has it been every time I use

the tool to the point where I get nothing done.

Please help me! I just created a new project to see if this will work out any bugs.

Thanks as usual to whoever is out there!

🙂

Posted on Oct 14, 2011 9:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 14, 2011 10:32 AM

Final Cut Pro: Troubleshooting Basics

11 replies

Oct 15, 2011 8:36 AM in response to Bempa

I don't work with HQ, but I doubt that is (or hopefully, was) your problem.

If after creating new project/sequence and/or following the Troubleshooting steps in the link that RatVega gave you still experience problems, post back.

The few times I've ever encountered similar behavior is working with very long sequences, with lots of stills and effects…and a boot drive that had too much stuff on it. Breaking the sequence into more manageable chunks and cleaning up the HD was the solution in those instances.

Russ

Oct 16, 2011 8:53 AM in response to Michael Grenadier

Hi Michael,

This project was originally shot on Super 16mm, and I am doing the re-edit. (I didn't start with the project, so I didn't set up the specs, transfers, etc.). The end result will most likely be film at some point, or an HDCam - not sure yet. It's a feature.

Why are you saying that Apple ProRes HQ is overkill? I'm starting up a new feature in a couple of weeks and am just now figuring out specs for editing. We are using the RED camera and I have told the DP that our Codec could be Apple Pro Res HQ. Can you give me your reasons why this may not be a good idea?

Thanks!!

Oct 16, 2011 8:57 AM in response to Bempa

No, I don't think prores HQ is overkill for Red material, but it is possible that it's overkill for you setup. Do some googling and searching here and you'll find some great answers to what format prores is appropriate in a variety of situations. If prores hq is taxing your system (and by the way, it would help if you would describe your system in your profile so it appears on all your posts), you can work in another format and conform back to prores hq when you've finished.

Oct 16, 2011 9:13 AM in response to Michael Grenadier

Hi again Michael,

I just tried to update my profile and then "it" wouldn't let me type any more (?). I added a few more details, but not sure why I can't type more ... (yet another problem to face . . . 😉 )

I will do research, thanks. We wanted to use ProRes on the next project since it's the highest quality and will eliminate the need (I believe) of going back to the raw RED material and be less costly in the long run.

Best wishes!

Crashing Constantly when using ripple and roll tools.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.