Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to best configure iCal for iCloud?

How would I best configure iCal for iCloud?

Should i make the "iCloud - Home" my default calendar? Or rather the "On my Mac - Home"?

How do those two guys interact with eachother anyway? I can't find proper documentation on Apple.com.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Oct 14, 2011 10:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 14, 2011 11:08 AM

Use the iCloud home calendar for the default and uncheck the the On My Mac home calendar so you don't see double entries. The iCloud and On My Mac calenders don't interact at all.

I would agree that iCloud documentation is wanting in several areas. You can request better documentation for iCloud at www.apple.com/feedback/icloud.html.

17 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 14, 2011 11:08 AM in response to Harpo Marx

Use the iCloud home calendar for the default and uncheck the the On My Mac home calendar so you don't see double entries. The iCloud and On My Mac calenders don't interact at all.

I would agree that iCloud documentation is wanting in several areas. You can request better documentation for iCloud at www.apple.com/feedback/icloud.html.

Oct 15, 2011 9:25 AM in response to Peggy Lynn

I have iOS5 on my iPhone 4 and iCloud is enabled and working. However, I have not upgraded to Lion yet on my MacBook Pro and I understand that to use iCloud on my Mac I'll need to upgrade. But it does seem that "Calendar" on iCal is connected to my iCloud.

I also enabled my Apple ID on my wife's iPhone so we can use the same calendar. Is there a way around this? Can she subscribe to my calendar like we can on Google?

Thanks for your feedback.

Oct 15, 2011 10:39 AM in response to Missouri Jed

Just go to iCloud.com and log in (on your Mac).

I still have Snow Leopard on my iMac and it accesses just fine.

However, your Mac iCal events won't be there until you upgrade to Lion, but that'easy to resolve. What you will see is any calendars from your iDevice(s).

Because I am not on Lion yet, my iPad shows calendars synced thru iTunes from my Mac, as well as those on iCloud. If I were on Lion, those would be merged with iCloud.

My solution.

I changed the name of the iCloud "Home" and "Work" calendars that appear on my iMac to match existing calendars on my iMac and transferred the events from the "on my iMac" calendars to the renamed iCloud calendars. (just select the event and choose the iCloud calendar instead). Then I deleted the empty calendars.

Then I went into my iCloud via the Mac and shared (click the little "broadcast" icon by any calendar - may have to go into edit) those new calendars with my wife. I then went into my wife's iCloud, accepted the shared calendars and shared her iCloud "Home" and "Work" calendars with me..

I then went into iCal on my iPad and retargetted all my events from the Home and Work calendars onto the iCloud ones and deleted the originals when they were empty.

I also went back into my iCloud via the Mac and accepted my wife's shared Home and Work calendars.

We both retain other calendars with stuff the other doesn't care about.

Now, until I upgrade to Lion, my iMac calendars won't update, but I can easily access iCal in iCloud, it won't be overly aggravating - except the entering a password every time part.

Hope this helps.

Oct 15, 2011 1:02 PM in response to Clyde Crocker

Clyde,

First of all great name... it was my dad's.

When I first set up iCloud I had a Calendar that was linked back to my Mac. I deleted it and I'm wondering how to get it back?

I found the broadcast button on iCloud so I understand how share the calendar with my wife and hers with mine. My main focus was to simply have ONE calendar that we could both use.

As far as the calendar on my iCal I can wait till I upgrade to Lion unless what you are saying is that I can use iCal with iCloud and my iPhone.

Thanks again for the help.

Oct 15, 2011 2:30 PM in response to Missouri Jed

If you have Snow Leopard, you should be able to access iCal on iCloud.

Not sure what you mean by a calendar linked back to your Mac.

If you mean it was synced to your iDevice (thru iTunes), so all calendars on iCal on Mac were on your iDevice, then the question is where did you delete it?

If you deleted it from your iDevice, then syncing via iTunes should put it back.

If you deleted it from your Mac, perhaps again you can get it back by syncing via iTunes if it is still on your iDevice.

Otherwise, it will take a greater mind than mine.

Oct 17, 2011 7:41 AM in response to Harpo Marx

Here is my solution to connecting with iCloud before one downloads Lion and sharing the calendar.

• I simply set up my iCloud, have it connected to my iPhone.
  • I broadcasted the calendars to my wife so now we can both share.

Until we can upgrade to Lion on my MacBook Pro, we'll simply use our iPhones and iCloud online. Hope this helps someone who needs a quick and simple solution.

If this was stated in an earlier reply, my apologies. I reallly didn't have time to read the entire string.

Oct 19, 2011 5:03 PM in response to Harpo Marx

There is a way to merge the two calendars thus moving all of the events to a single calendar, the "iCloud one", and then just deleting the "On my mac" one. Though if there are two of the same events in both...you will get a double posting.

1. Right click and Export the "On my Mac" calendar to your desktop.

2. Drag the exported file back into iCal but drop it on top of the "iCloud" calendar that you are merging it to.

3. It should then update the calendar that you droped it on to show all events from both calendars.

4. Delete the "On my Mac" calendar from iCal and you can also delete the exported file from your desktop.

Hope that helps! Do you all know if Siri can interact with multiple calendars or just the primary one???

How to best configure iCal for iCloud?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.