Skip navigation

Duplicate Events

1126 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Jan 12, 2012 8:03 AM by MaxGuru RSS
rwgleaves Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Oct 14, 2011 10:51 AM

I've upgraded to iCloud but now I have duplicate dates in iCal and duplicate picture albums.

Can anyone provide a solution?

Thanks

• MaxGuru Level 1 Level 1 (35 points)
    Oct 14, 2011 11:02 AM (in response to rwgleaves)

In iCal go to iCal>Preferences...>Accounts. Be sure there is just one iCloud account being accessed. If you had MobileMe before that one can be deleted.

If that doesn't do it. Go to iCal and click the Calendars button on the upper right hand corner. This will bring a pop-up of your calendars. If you see duplicates just uncheck the ones you don't want displayed.

Don't delete any calendars you may want without saving a copy first. To save a calendar, select a calendar from the pop-up window, right-click and select Export. This will create an .ics file. If you lose the calendar sometime in the future it can be reimported into iCal.

• pauls73 Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)
    Oct 16, 2011 8:15 PM (in response to MaxGuru)

i turned off my iCloud calendars from view. why o why apple UX people thought seeing duplicates by default made sense is beyond me.

however, now i really wonder - if i am now making local events, does that get synced to iCloud? this odd separation between iCloud calendars (that are a duplicate of) local calendars is highly confusing. maybe it is just their choice of words?

Oct 18, 2011 11:24 AM (in response to pauls73)

You can have calendars listed as On My Mac, meaning that the calendar resides only on that Mac. Calendars in the iCloud are visible in iCal, the web on the iCloud page, and on any iOS devices that have added iCloud access.

I try to keep all my calendars on iCloud so that I have access on my iPhone and my home and work Macs. I also share a family calendar with my wife so we can keep up with events that affect us both. It has been great to have this capability now.

When you create a new calendar be sure to specify if you want it On My Mac or iCloud.

Regardless of where you keep it, it is a good idea to periodically make a backup via the Export function in iCal. Those ics files will save your bacon if you accidentally delete an iCloud calendar.

• AlexBrussels Calculating status...
    Jan 4, 2012 2:36 AM (in response to rwgleaves)

Hello MaxGuru, thanks for all your postings. I am still lost. I updated my macbook pro to Lion so that I could use icloud sync app with my iphone. I don't have an icloud account where I store things and don't plan to have one for the moment. I just wanted to be able to sync without the cable as I often forget my cable.

Three things happened:

1. I can sync via wifi from macbook to iphone.

2. I can't do the opposite

3. All entries in ical have been duplicated only on the iphone.

Any idea how I can solve 2 & 3 ?

Thanks in advance and Happy New Year !

Alex

Jan 12, 2012 8:03 AM (in response to AlexBrussels)

When you use iCloud you need to think of its data as the "master" data where all others will follow. If you don't use iCloud then you have to make your MacBook the master. You need to set up iTunes to sync your iPhone with the calendar and contacts on the MacBook. It will only sync when you connect the iPhone to the MacBook. Check your iTunes syncing settings as that is probably where the problem is.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.