Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

severe overheating to the point I have to place an ice pack underneath when I use it because I am afraid it will catch fire!!!

Help! My Macbook Pro recentaly started severely overheating to the point that I have to place an ice pack underneath when I use it because I am afraid it will catch fire!!!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8), MacBookPro1,1 Intel Core Duo

Posted on Oct 14, 2011 11:16 AM

1 reply

Oct 14, 2011 11:28 AM in response to peachluck

First, you need to get some utility that reads the actual temps. What feels hot to you is less than the temps required to damage the hardware.

Consider Temperture Monitor:

http://bresink.com/osx/TemperatureMonitor.html

It places a temp readout in your menu bar so you get near-real-time readings.

The MBP and basically all Macs are designed to do a safety shutdown if the temps approch the point that could cause damage. FOr the MBP is in the ballpark of 100C/212F (varies with MBP version).

If you are gaming on your computer you will see temps in the range so 180F, still below the critical temp. Notebooks are not great gaming machines because the dictates of case size limit the size of the cooling fans and airflow paths.

If the MBP is burning your lap, you are using the computer incorrectly. The bottom of the aluminum case is a major part of the heat dissipation system. Air need to get under the computer and this cannot happen if the computer is in your lap or on a pillow or blanket. If you must use the computer in your lap, get or make a lapboard the same size as the case bottom.

If you've done this and the temps stay high, you may have a runaway background process. If that happens, post back and we can tell you how to ferret out the offending process.

severe overheating to the point I have to place an ice pack underneath when I use it because I am afraid it will catch fire!!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.