Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Questions about moving from Mobile Me to iCloud

I just upgraded my iPhone to iOS5 and am curious about the move to iCloud for my mobileme account. I know there are articles out there, but they seem very generic and do not put my fears to rest.

Here are my questions and concerns. I figure they will be easy for a lot of you to answer, but I need to pose them before I make the jump.

1.) Do I need Lion to move to iCloud? (from the articles I read I'm pretty sure the answer is yes, but I thought I'd clarify)

2.) I have more than one mobileme account that has calendars and mail synced on my computer. If I upgrade one account do I have to upgrade the other at the same time for iCal and Mail to work?

3.) My husband's mobileme account syncs his work calendar. It is very important that I don't lose his information and that his calendar works flawlessly after the upgrade. Has anyone run into problems with the calendar syncing? I will not move anyone's accounts if iCloud is still experiencing a lot of bugs. I will of course make a backup copy of his calendar before upgrading, but his calendar changes often and is synced to two iMacs, a Macbook Pro, Mac Mini, an iPad and an iPhone it will not be practical to keep track of his calendar and if it is syncing properly.

4.) How do I actually make the switch to iCloud once I make up my mind to do it? My Phone told me to sign into me.com to do this, but when I signed in I didn't see how to say that I wanted to use the iCloud. Maybe this is because I haven't upgraded to Lion yet?

Thanks!

iMac, MacBook Pro, Mac Mini, iPad, iPhone, Mac OS X (10.6.5)

Posted on Oct 14, 2011 12:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 14, 2011 12:39 PM

1. Yes, Lion is required, at least at present.

2. You can only use one iCloud account at a time. You can be logged into the store with a second AppleID -- for use if all your music and app purchases were made with another AppleID -- but you can't use multiple iCloud accounts simultaneously.

3. It seems far more solid than MobileMe ever was. Calendar syncing, for example, now happens instantly, whereas before it was slow and hit or miss.

4. Visit www.me.com/move -- but you're right that you need to wait until you've upgraded every one of your devices to Mac OS X 10.7.2 or iOS 5.

Best of luck!

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 14, 2011 12:39 PM in response to mfreckle

1. Yes, Lion is required, at least at present.

2. You can only use one iCloud account at a time. You can be logged into the store with a second AppleID -- for use if all your music and app purchases were made with another AppleID -- but you can't use multiple iCloud accounts simultaneously.

3. It seems far more solid than MobileMe ever was. Calendar syncing, for example, now happens instantly, whereas before it was slow and hit or miss.

4. Visit www.me.com/move -- but you're right that you need to wait until you've upgraded every one of your devices to Mac OS X 10.7.2 or iOS 5.

Best of luck!

Oct 14, 2011 12:54 PM in response to Eric Westby

I am curious about the comment you can only use one iCloud account at a time. Right now I have my moblieme calendar and my husband's mobileme calendar both visible in iCal. That is very convenient for us because then he doesn't have to open up a separate user on the iMac just to check his calendar (this is our home computer that is mainly mine). Are you telling me that I won't be able to use both CalDAV accounts in iCal anymore? Will it force me to use only one?

Most of our music and videos was purchased under my .mac account, so iTunes isn't a problem, but we like to share one user on the computer and still be able to see both our calendars and e-mail.

Oct 14, 2011 12:59 PM in response to mfreckle

No, I believe you're correct that you can have multiple calendar accounts enabled in iCal on the Mac. But AFAIK you can't do the same on an iOS device.

I've scoured the preferences, and while it's possible to have calendar information coming in from multiple different types of calendars -- i.e., Google, iCloud, Yahoo, etc. -- I can only see one area in which to enter my iCloud credentials. That leads me to believe iOS 5 is limited to a single iCloud account.

But I hope someone will chime in if I'm wrong, and point out where to enter the additional account info.

Questions about moving from Mobile Me to iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.