Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After updating to iOS 5, my iPad 1 will not charge when hooked up to my MacBook. It charges fine from the brick.

After updating to iOS 5, my iPad battery will not charge when hooked up to my MacBook. It is recognized and sync but does not charge. It will charge off the wall wart. Never had any problems before.

iPad, iOS 5

Posted on Oct 14, 2011 2:26 PM

8 replies

Oct 20, 2011 10:30 PM in response to wschart

I stand somewhat corrected, but only somewhat. According to the manual, plugging into a computer only provides a trickle charge. The manual recommends charging directly from a wall socket and warns that depending on the computer to charge it is risky as the iPad could actually discharge if the computer shuts down or goes to sleep. I've never gotten my iPad to charge from my MacBook Pro, and remember looking this up when I first got it. I reconsulted the manual after your post. So I guess lucky you if it did charge for you before, sorry it's not working now.

Oct 21, 2011 6:23 AM in response to wschart

Well, I guess it depends on your definition of "trickle charge". According to what I both read and experienced, newer Macs provide sufficient power through the USB port to charge an iPad, while older Macs don't. I am ot sure where the dividing line is and perhaps your MacBook is older than mine. I know it wouldn't charge via my 12" AluBook. Certainly charging via the brick is faster, but often when syncing or adding stuff via iTunes, I found it convenient to leave the iPad hooked up to recharge.

At any rate, whatever ability to charge when hooked up to the computer has been broken via the new iOS.

Oct 21, 2011 1:54 PM in response to wschart

I guess we should ask Apple what their definition of "trickle charge" is, as that's the term the iPad manual uses - the "iPad user guide for ios 5" manual I downloaded via iBooks after installing ios5.

My MacBook Pro is a 2008, Intel duo processor.

I agree, it would be helpful if Apple would define things better! I don't find the manuals they provide all that helpful, as a rule, and usually end up buying 3rd-party publications.

I can certainly understand your frustration.

Oct 24, 2011 7:39 PM in response to wschart

Here's another go-figure for you, though it's not really about charging I thought you might appreciate the irony of it. I just remembered today that I had created a few non-critical docs in iWork and Pages prior to tje update. I had lost calendars, etc. from the get-go with iCloud. But my iWork and Pages docs are still on my iPad?! Go figure!

After updating to iOS 5, my iPad 1 will not charge when hooked up to my MacBook. It charges fine from the brick.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.