Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

no TV out in iOS 5?

I work at night. I own an iPhone 3G S. I connect my iPhone to my portable tv and watch movies and YouTube videos to pass the time. Well, up until iOS 5 that is. I did the update like everyone else. Fooled around with the new features and even signed up for iCloud. But when it came time to watch a video, through YouTube or Photos or the new Video app, nothing happened. It wouldn't play on my tv. I went to the settings and found the tv out setting missing. Is there a way I can go back to iOS 4.x? And where do I go to let Apple know my disappointment?

Thanks,

iPhone 3GS, iOS 5

Posted on Oct 14, 2011 2:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 14, 2011 2:40 PM

You can not downgrade IOS

Feedback goes here

http://www.apple.com/feedback/

69 replies

Oct 20, 2011 2:58 PM in response to Wevy

there is no settings but the cable is working again. it might be that it's old and not always connecting right. I would just see a display that read something like "this product is not supported by this iPhone click ok to dismiss". I haven't seen that display since iOS 5. I went to the settings and noticed that the TV Out setting had disappeared. the Iphone 3GS is not compatible with the HDMI or VGA cables. The HDMI cable also allows mirroring which I am not able to do on the 3G S. so, no netflix for me just yet unless I want to watch on a small screen or another device. thanks for all your input.

Oct 26, 2011 7:35 PM in response to crackedpot

I just got a new Composite AV Cable (Apple brand) in the mail today and plugged it into the TV display in my van with my iPad 2 as a video source to test it out. The audio works fine, as expected; but the video was scrolling like the vsync was off

I plugged in my daughter's Gen4 iPod Touch, and it worked fine.

I'm thinking that my iPad is set to PAL instead of NTSC, but since iOS5 removed the ability to change the output settings, I cannot make the change.

Is there any way to make sure that I'm outputing an NTSC signal from my iPad 2, and if it was set to PAL, would a scrolling effect be what I'd be seeing on my display?

Thanks.

Oct 27, 2011 10:28 PM in response to Llaffer

Llaffer wrote:

but since iOS5 removed the ability to change the output settings, I cannot make the change.

This is not true. The setting has just been relocated.

Is there any way to make sure that I'm outputing an NTSC signal from my iPad 2, and if it was set to PAL, would a scrolling effect be what I'd be seeing on my display?

Go to Settings > General > TV Out > TV Signal and you'll be able to select from PAL or NTSC.

Oct 27, 2011 10:31 PM in response to scorpiorow

scorpiorow wrote:

I even tried it on another tv today. Still just audio. Starting to wonder if it is my iPhone.

I also have this issue with my iPad 2. I have tried it on several iPad 2's, but only get audio output (clear audio, at that). The Apple Composite AV Cable (Model: A1258) used to work fine on my old first-gen iPad with iOS 5 beta... 😕

Oct 27, 2011 11:25 PM in response to itechkid

itechkid wrote:

Llaffer wrote:

Go to Settings > General > TV Out > TV Signal and you'll be able to select from PAL or NTSC.

I see no "TV Out" option on the General tab of the Settings app.

Oct 28, 2011 12:20 AM in response to Llaffer

Llaffer wrote:

itechkid wrote:

Llaffer wrote:

I see no "TV Out" option on the General tab of the Settings app.

You don't see this?

User uploaded file

Btw, I forgot to mention that it only appears when you connect the cable.

no TV out in iOS 5?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.