Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to export Apple Mail Email Addresses..

I am going about an email-gathering process in order to analyze addresses I want to use for future marketing.

One resource of qualified leads is my 5 year old Gmail account which has all my correspondence 'banked' -

so I want to extract and put into a list form (spreadsheet, csv) - all of the sent-to and received-from email

addresses that i have accumulated. Since Gmail doesn't natively export email addresses as a list, I must

go through the process of either a POP or IMAP download to an email client. I decided to set up Apple Mail

with an IMAP configuration for the purpose of offloading all of my gmail into Apple Mail. That is currently in

progress - I am running the "sync" feature at the moment - figure it'll be a half-day or so to process through

it.

Then comes the question, which i forgot to consider - and I am not sure about this because i normally use Thunderbird...

is there a way to export all of the Emails from the Apple Mail folders once they've downloaded from Gmail - into a format

that can be 'read' by an email extraction app - i.e., .csv, or tab delimited, etc... I see stuff about "Address Book" being

exported, but nothing specifically referring to the email addresses themselves.

Hope this question makes sense and thanks for any advice or second opinion on whether there's a better way to do

what i'm trying to do.

Thanks

Mike

iMac, 17" 10.5, 24" 10.6....

Posted on Oct 14, 2011 3:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 14, 2011 5:24 PM

Hi Mike,

CSV is a bit tougher, but once in Mail, highlight the gMail Inbox>Select All, then in the menubar>Message>Add Senders to Address Book.

And not certain if you need only the eMail Addy, or more info.

It might be easy enough to find or write a script that would parse the text of the .emlx files to make a .csv file of your liking.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 14, 2011 5:24 PM in response to MIKEinMICH

Hi Mike,

CSV is a bit tougher, but once in Mail, highlight the gMail Inbox>Select All, then in the menubar>Message>Add Senders to Address Book.

And not certain if you need only the eMail Addy, or more info.

It might be easy enough to find or write a script that would parse the text of the .emlx files to make a .csv file of your liking.

Oct 14, 2011 5:35 PM in response to BDAqua

Hi, thanks for that info - I have this app called Email Extractor - it may read the .emlx files -haven't been able to find much documentation....been a year or two since i toyed with it andi won't know til the IMAP downloading to the email client is done before i can try it... will probably take half a day before this synch process completes as it has about 15,000 emails to process...

As for the data, I basically just need the email addresses. It would make life simpler if there were a converter that would just transform the .emlx to .csv in order for me to run the list through the Extractor parsing' app. I was kinda hoping i could export from Mail to .csv or something this app can readily read...

Thanks again,

Mike

How to export Apple Mail Email Addresses..

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.