Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

cannot connect to iTunes store on iPhone

I don't know if this problem is ultimately related to the setting up a new Apple ID or not, but on my iPhone 4 (running iOS5), but when I try to update my apps, I get a "cannot connect to iTunes Store" error message. I've already logged out and logged back into the app store using settings on the iPhone, and this error persists. Any other users having this problem?

Posted on Oct 14, 2011 6:43 PM

13 replies

Oct 14, 2011 6:56 PM in response to andrew.in.Boston

Not sure Andrew if related to a new Apple ID because I have the same problem on exisiting apple ID after switching to iOS5 and transitioning from mobileme to icloud. Now when I try and download an app...it asks for the

itunes password (as always) but now it doesn't accept the password that worked for years...after I tried and tried I typed in my email password for the heck of it and it worked. Makes no sense to me.

Furthermore I am concerned that now when I transfer all my itunes from my current computer to my new mac sometime later this year...it could be very problematic. Thought I heard that if the music in your library had more than one password attached to it the transfer can be a mess...why I don't know...but pretty sure it can be a pain.

Will let you know if I hear anything regarding your problem.

Oct 15, 2011 12:01 PM in response to andrew.in.Boston

I am having the same problem. I cannot update an existing app. I can however download a new app. Very strange. I am having the same problem on all three of my devices, my iPad, iPod and iPhone. I did the exact same steps for a friend of mine, who I manage his iPod from my computer. It worked flawlessly. The only difference is that his was an iPod 3rd generation and mine is a 4th. I also cannot update my apps within the iTunes store itself. Is anyone else having this issue?

Oct 15, 2011 6:51 PM in response to bearspete

Similar problem last night. It asked for the password for my "new" Apple ID xxx@example.com, but then complained that it couldn't connect to the iTunes, then mysteriously it would start asking for my original Apple ID (the one I've previously been using with iTunes from the beginning). I'd put in the password and it also wouldn't take and I would get again the error message about not being able to connect to iTunes.

I ended up going to Settings -> Store and then signing out and signing back in with my new xxx@example.com Apple ID. However, this still didn't completely sign the problem. Now, it seemed that other apps would be updating, but it would hang up on the Facebook app update with the same "cannot connect to iTunes" error message. I ended up deleting the Facebook app and reinstalling it. And to my surprise, it started to work again.

Oct 25, 2011 9:31 AM in response to debfrommoorhead

This is the problem I'm having. I can download a new app (or delete an existing app and download it again) and iTunes Store recognizes my password. However, if I try to update an app, I receive an error "password was incorrect."

Are the passwords stored with the app somehow? I wish I understood how this error is getting generated.

Nov 4, 2011 6:51 AM in response to andrew.in.Boston

Yes, and it turned out to be a user error. 😮 😕

It turned out that I had briefly created and used a second apple ID (long story) and the apps that were giving me issues were downloaded with this second ID.

Solution

Here is the easiest solution to fixing this:

1) When the app store notifies of an update, select each app individually to update it instead of doing a global update.

2) The app store will prompt you with the password. This will give you a chance to see the apple ID associated to the app.

(It's the only place I've found to see this information. I can't find it in the app's settings anywhere.)

3) Now you have two options:

Option A: Delete the offending app and reinstall with the apple ID you are currently signed in with.

Option B: Sign out and sign in with the apple ID associated to the app, proceed with updates, and sign out/in again as needed.

Note that even if you have "purchased" an app with both (more than one) apple IDs, your device remembers which ID you used when you downloaded the app. So even if you are signed in with an apple ID that purchased the app, the app store will look for the apple ID/pw you used when you downloaded that app. You can solve this by deleting the app and reinstalling as mentioned above.

Another wonderful thing I learned from the best tech support ever is that iTunes Store now has an easy way to view app purchase history:

1) In iTunes, select iTunes Store.

2) When/if it ever loads an hour later, find the Quick Links panel under "Welcome Username" on the far right.

3) About half way down, there is a Purchases link. Click that, and then, on the next screen, Apps.

You can sign in with the alternate apple IDs to compare the apps purchased.

Alternatively, you can see your entire purchase history by date by selecting your apple ID (top right), and then "Account." But that is a longer, more tedious way to scroll through your apps.

I hope this helps and makes sense. Good luck resolving the issue!

Dec 2, 2011 12:57 PM in response to andrew.in.Boston

I have a similar problem. I wanted to update my apps but it was showing my old ID and would not connect. I read on another thread that this is because the apps themselves are associated with my old ID. So I deleted those apps individually. Then I went onto my desktop and corrected my ID but when I tried to re-install the apps under the new ID on my phone I could not connect to the itunes store. I tried to follow the instructions posted by crystalfromcharlotte above, but I ended up finding a section called "manage devices" instead. Here is what it said:

These computers and devices (listed below) are associated with your Apple ID for Automatic Downloads or to download previously purchased music, apps and books. Computers and devices can be associated with a different Apple ID once every 90 days. Days remaining indicates the number of days before you can associate that specific computer or device with a different Apple ID.
Windows PC (Carpenter) Associated December 2nd, 2011

So, it looks like if you change your ID, you can only do it one device at a time for 90 days. Unless I'm reading this wrong? But it would explain why I can't connect to the Itunes Store on my phone but my computer connects just fine.

Here is another article on the subject:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4627

I don't understand this rule. I might call customer support. I hope we figure this out!

cannot connect to iTunes store on iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.