Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After upgrade to Lion 10.7.2, No Sound in all areas and More

Ok, I just upgraded my Macbook Pro with the Lion 10.7.2 software and for some reason I lost all the sound in both my notebook and my iTunes. To make matters worse; everytime when I restart my computer, it comes with a grey screen with my username and admin option. When I click on my username, it does nothing. Plus everything is so slow.

What should I do?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Oct 14, 2011 7:35 PM

8 replies

Oct 15, 2011 10:43 AM in response to truenewyorker93

Ok I have an update about this mess. The first thing that I did was the Lion Recovery (which is holding down Command + R while startup). Next I selected the option to put a new Lion in and after waiting for what seemed like a few hours, it restarted (as it should) and it brought me to the dark grey screen which features the option to choose either my username or the admin. Once I clicked on my username, it did nothing. (Don't know why Apple would put that in there in my opinion, but moving on.) Then, I restarted my laptop again, but this time I held down the Shift and "fn" buttons. This brought to me the dark grey screen but it gave the two lines of space to type in my username and my password. As a result of all of this, I can access the Internet except for websites like YouTube and any other website that has a video player. I can access my school documents and the Mail app (since I'm currently a student).

Yet, I still have no sound!! One more thing, when I went into my Launchpad, it went through some crazy motion and I thought everything was going to be gone.

I would love to go to an Apple Retail store, but from where I live, its about good 45 minute drive. The nearest store near my place of residence is in New Haven, CT. I would also would love to go to my Tech Support Team at school, but they don't work on the weekends.

Does anybody know how to fix this?

Oct 18, 2011 4:47 PM in response to truenewyorker93

Had the same problem on my Macbook Air and found a simple solution.

I had installed Soundflower before I updated to 10.7.2 and it turned out to be the problem. Check under System Preferences -> Sound to see if it's installed on your system.

If so, search for the Soundflower uninstall script. On my system it was "Uninstall Soundflower.scpt". I executed it and rebooted. After that my audio was restored.

Nov 3, 2011 12:33 PM in response to truenewyorker93

I found a fix!

Step 1: Fresh Restart, do not open original windows.

Step 2: Syestem Preferences.

Step 3: Sound.

Step 4: Sound output.

Step 5: One of the following should be selected; "Soundflower (16ch)," or "Soundflower (2ch)."

Step 6: Simply click "Internal Speakers."

Step 7: Test out volume with shortcut keys. It will lag like crazy on the first try.

Step 8: Another fresh restart.

This worked for me, I was super ******. But after messing around I figured this out. I guess it is that stupid Soundflower thing. But yea, we made it so much more complicated than it needed to be. Hope it worked for you! Oh, and make sure to do the restarts.

~Max

After upgrade to Lion 10.7.2, No Sound in all areas and More

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.