Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Itunes 10.5 keeps opening on its own

Just got Itunes 10.5 to work correctly, store wasn't working. Now Itunes opens on its own. using windows 7 64 bit. Anyone have any suggestion?

Windows 7

Posted on Oct 14, 2011 8:09 PM

30 replies

Oct 18, 2011 11:49 AM in response to blkflcon

For what it's worth, I think I GOT IT! it appears to be the "Find My iPhone" in the iCloud settings. iTunes was opening up every few minutes on me. I turned that ONE feature to OFF, and iTunes on my 64 bit platform has not opened up since. 🙂

iCloud backup and sync are on for my other features like contacts, calendar. Just turned the Find My iPhone off and iTunes is behaving now. Hope they fix that soon, I would rather have that turned on.

Oct 18, 2011 12:01 PM in response to ituneskipper

itunes helper is running at startup in msconfig. if killing that process worked for you, you could verify by restarting the computer. ituneshelper will be running again in taskman after you log in.

if you do want to kill it from running at startup go to start select run and type msconfig. in the startup tab, find it on the list and check it there to not run, and reboot again.

I thought in my last post that the Find my iPhone shutting off might fix it. but after i rebooted, a few min. later iTunes opened again. so i am going to try the above here too. disable the iTuneshelper from running at startup. and reboot/try again....

Oct 18, 2011 12:33 PM in response to ituneskipper

So far, the disabling the iTuneshelper process in msconfig seems to have done it. half hour now since reboot and iTunes has not auto opened.

NOTE though, that with that process disabled, if you have iTunes set to launch when you connect your iPhone to the PC, it does not seem to auto launch that way anymore. you can open iTunes manually no problem though, and/or connect the iPhone and open iTunes manually. sync, backup, check for updates all worked ok for me too, and NO instances of the iTuneshelper came back up in taskman at any time!

i'm going to leave it like that until they post an update. seems to work ok...

Itunes 10.5 keeps opening on its own

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.