Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB much slower thru Thunderbolt Display!

My new Air/Thunderbolt system is fabulous but I just noticed that USB transfer rates through the Thunderbolt Display are much slower!

Here are my results using the same USB disk drive, same USB cable, same file, same copy command (see * below):

USB thru Thunderbolt Display USB port: ~0.5 GB / minute

USB thru MacBook Air USB port: ~2.0 GB / minute

Anyone else able to reproduce this on a MacBook Air with Thunderbolt Display? If not, I'll need to swap mine.

I stipulate that firewire and thunderbolt are faster than USB. But some devices require USB. What I'm noticing is that at one of the USB ports on the back of my Thunderbolt display is running at about 1/4 the speed of the USB port which is built in to my MacBook Air.

Has anyone from Apple checked this?

Thanks a lot!

William

*My copy command takes less than 2 minutes if the USB cable is plugged into the MacBook Air, and takes 7 minutes if the USB cable is plugged into the Thunderbolt Display.

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7.2), Thunderbolt Display

Posted on Oct 14, 2011 9:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 19, 2011 2:44 PM

I tested my TB display's USB ports using Time Machine. My configuration is a 17" MBP with Lion and 8gb ram. I setup TM for the first time with a USB drive connected to the TB display. The backup took 7.5 hours for about 185gb. I deleted the backup and connected the drive directly to a USB port on the MBP. The exact same backup took 2.5 hours. Nothing else was running during either backup.

I talked to the local Apple dealer about this and apparently they don't read the forums very much since they hadn't heard of the issue. I'm sure hoping this is a firmware and not a hardware issue. Using the display as a hub was a primary consideration when I purchased it. I haven't heard back yet from the dealer.

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 19, 2011 2:44 PM in response to Williamvv

I tested my TB display's USB ports using Time Machine. My configuration is a 17" MBP with Lion and 8gb ram. I setup TM for the first time with a USB drive connected to the TB display. The backup took 7.5 hours for about 185gb. I deleted the backup and connected the drive directly to a USB port on the MBP. The exact same backup took 2.5 hours. Nothing else was running during either backup.

I talked to the local Apple dealer about this and apparently they don't read the forums very much since they hadn't heard of the issue. I'm sure hoping this is a firmware and not a hardware issue. Using the display as a hub was a primary consideration when I purchased it. I haven't heard back yet from the dealer.

Dec 19, 2011 3:48 PM in response to todd frombend

Hi Todd,

Thanks for reporting this here. The easy workaround is to use the Air USB ports for high volume data and use the ones on the back of your Thunderbolt Display for things like printers, or anything where you don't mind the wait.

By the way, the FireWire port on the TB Display screams, so it's the USB interface in the display.

I hope it's firmware, too. But I'm done testing and I'm just using the faster ports.

William

Dec 19, 2011 4:04 PM in response to Williamvv

You're right of course, William, it's a better display than a hub and I'm weighing my options for a faster storage solution. Glad to hear the firewire works well, that's a much cheaper option than a TB drive. I was hoping to use the other peripherals that I already had, and for the incremental backups, USB will probably be fine.

I'm also using the TB display USB ports for the Logitech keyboard/mouse dongle, and ipod sync where the lack of speed isn't an issue.

USB much slower thru Thunderbolt Display!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.