Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

4s camera not working

The Shutter on my 4s is not working. The camera shutter just remains closed or everything remains black. When I first set up the phone I was able to take a couple of pictures. Since then, no luck. Video doesn't work either. Using the camera from other camera apps doesn't work either. Front facing Facetime camera seems to work, though.

iPhone 4s-OTHER, iOS 5

Posted on Oct 14, 2011 10:52 PM

6 replies

Feb 14, 2012 8:05 AM in response to mjpigg

I am having the same issue. I have had my 32GB iPhone 4S since it came out and everything has been working fine. Until yesterday when I needed to take a picture, and the shutter would not open.

I have tried Rebooting, Respringing, Reset Settings, tried all various different camera apps that I have and none of them work. However everyonce in a while I can get the Front facing camera to work. But the Rear one will not.

Either the shutter stays closed, or it will sometimes open, but the screen is black, and then it will close and open and close and open in a continual cycle until it finally just closes the app.

I have searched many different posts about this issue, and can not seem to find a solution that has worked as of yet.

Before I go to my very last resort of wiping the phone completely (which I have read doesnt work either) but if I have to retrun it to the store I will have to do this anyways.. I am hoping that someone out there, has a solution that will fix this that I have not tried.... Any suggestions would be appriciated!! Frustrated beyond belief!!!!

Feb 16, 2012 12:10 PM in response to iWright75

Just an update to my previous post.. So I went ahead and reinstalled iOS 5.0.1 on my device and set it up as a new phone, did not do any restore of previous backups just incase something in the back up was corrupted.

As it turns out I guess I didnt need to do this, as my Camera is still not working. The virtual shutter still does not open or if it does open the screen is black, no image to be seen.

I have made a genius appt for this Sat, which I hope that based on everything that I have read about others whom have this same issue they will just replace my device. I will update again after I meet Apple on Sat. If anyone out there knows of any other tips or tricks to fix this, I would be greatful to any suggestions.. Never realized how much I actually used my camera on my phone, until, I cant anymore......

4s camera not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.