Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Saving an Email as RTFD looses attachments

I upgraded from Snow Leo to Lion. Now when I save (Shift-CMD-S) an Email that contains attachments such as PDF files, the resulting RTFD file does NOT contain these attachments. They just get lost. I just found out accidentially that I had lost a number of important files this way!

Saving Emails including attachments did work perfectly under Snow Leo and all it's predecessors, but as it seems, not in Lion.

I'd say that's a huge bug! Or am I doing something wrong?

(OS X 10.7.2)

iMac

Posted on Oct 15, 2011 2:29 AM

32 replies

Nov 27, 2011 2:49 PM in response to iCoco

Guys, just found your discussion. Hadn't seen it when I posted about exactly the same problem some weeks ago (Issue with Mail's Accounts.plist). Meanwhile I do not think anymore that the thing can be solved with accounts.plist. The whole case seems to be a known bug ever since Leoprad âš  was released: MAIL. Saving to RTF/D strips attachments + changes font. Anyway, if ever you happen to find a solution, please post it, as I will do myself.

Jan 14, 2012 12:35 AM in response to iCoco

I guess it never dawned on anyone else to save email via drag and drop? Drag the messages from MESSAGE LIST column to your desktop. Later I move them from there to a folder via Finder. When done that way it includes all attachemtns as well as the message.

There is also a difference in using the COPY command depending on how you invoke it in Lion Mail.

If you select multiple messages in list view (mail or RSS) and right click COPY it will copy each to your destination mailbox or even as attachments to another email. If you select COPY from the Title bar menu it will copy the contents of each message as one long RTF file which can be pasted into iText Express, Pages, or another email. You can even use SERVICES to create an instant ePub if you have that installed as a service.

If you select a bunch of messages in list view and choose FORWARD from the title bar Mac Mail will open a new message wtih all the messages converted to one long document for posting to someone. It is kind of neat to read RSS feeds this way on teh iPad instead of individual RTF messages slupered with RSS Wizard.

Web Archives are in reality a form of RTFD file. You can convert from one to the other extension with ease.

RTFD are more or less Apple only formats, Windows and especailly Linux users are SOL.

You can drag a RTFD to an email and on the iPad when it is viewed in iPad Mail choose QUICK VIEW instead of tring to open in some iPad app like Goodreader which probably will not handle it correctly in the first place.

ePub files can be converted to RTFD by opening them in iText Express and saving as RTFD.

IMHO you can pretty much do anything you want with the Mac OS if you put your mind to it.

Apple could sell a ton more Macs if they put some version of iBooks in OS X. The ePub readers for the Mac tend to be on the sorry side compared to iBooks. They exist but they lack a lot of features I use every day.

Vic

Saving an Email as RTFD looses attachments

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.