Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ICloud not syncing with Outlook 2011 using Lion

My problem is bizarre and the more I seem to troubleshoot the worse it gets. Since I only just bought my MacBook Pro, Lion was already installed. I had an old MacBook and the transition was seemless until ICloud came along yesterday morning. I signed up of course, as I knew I would eventually be forced to anyway and transitioned from MeMobile. Now I have problems. No sync between my Outlook 2011 and Address Book and ICloud. I have been trying to find a solution and have tried the following:

1. Deleted all the contacts in Address Book and reimported them from Outlook. This worked fine and Address Book synced with ICloud. However, when I made changes in Outlook, they would not sync with Address Book and thus not sync with ICloud. The reverse was also true, i.e. changes and additions in ICloud or Address Book do not sync with Outlook.

2. I shut down my computer and restarted. Then I reset the sync services. The result: All my Outlook Categories and Contacts appeared in Address Book along with all the contacts in ICloud. When I click on all contacts, I get duplicates of course. The interesting thing though is the contacts in "All on My Mac" tab in Address Book do not match those in ICloud and ICloud won't sync between the two. So as a result, the problem above persists. I still do not get any syncing between Outlook and ICloud/Address Book. (This by the way was the case before I deleted everything from Address Book and imported everthing from Outlook......so I am exactly in the same place I was before I started troubleshooting........going in circles at this point in time).

By the way, everything works fine for e-mails. However similar problem with ICal which has also doubled up on all info which was in ICloud and Outlook. I had a memobile account previous so ICloud just imported all that info I assume. Also, everthing works fine between my IPhone and ICloud. This is clearly an Outlook/Address Book Syncing problem.

Any suggestions???

MacBook Pro, iOS 5, Outlook 2011 and Address Book

Posted on Oct 15, 2011 3:31 AM

113 replies

Nov 1, 2016 1:26 PM in response to tamanacoazur

I think I got why..... openning Ical calendars it shows 3 classes of Icals....ON MY MAC - ICLOUD - SUBSCRIPTIONS....I'd say that ICLOUD syncs ICLOUD and ON MY MAC syncs ENTOURAGE.....this path must be corrected......

Oct 18, 2011 11:47 AM in response to Community User

Thanks for the suggestion but this does NOT work. Clears up things on ICAL and ICLOUD but my Outlook is an entire mess. Very strange because when it synced the first time around, it elimated all my imported calendars and created a new category called entourage. I have doubles of things and I don't even know where they have come from. At the moment ICLOUD has not screwed up my Contacts so I am hoping that does not happen. That said any changes I make in Outlook not updated on Contacts or on ICloud and vice versa,

Oct 18, 2011 11:55 AM in response to tamanacoazur

tamanacoazur wrote:

My problem is bizarre and the more I seem to troubleshoot the worse it gets. Since I only just bought my MacBook Pro, Lion was already installed. I had an old MacBook and the transition was seemless until ICloud came along yesterday morning. I signed up of course, as I knew I would eventually be forced to anyway and transitioned from MeMobile. Now I have problems. No sync between my Outlook 2011 and Address Book and ICloud. I have been trying to find a solution and have tried the following:

1. Deleted all the contacts in Address Book and reimported them from Outlook. This worked fine and Address Book synced with ICloud. However, when I made changes in Outlook, they would not sync with Address Book and thus not sync with ICloud. The reverse was also true, i.e. changes and additions in ICloud or Address Book do not sync with Outlook.

2. I shut down my computer and restarted. Then I reset the sync services. The result: All my Outlook Categories and Contacts appeared in Address Book along with all the contacts in ICloud. When I click on all contacts, I get duplicates of course. The interesting thing though is the contacts in "All on My Mac" tab in Address Book do not match those in ICloud and ICloud won't sync between the two. So as a result, the problem above persists. I still do not get any syncing between Outlook and ICloud/Address Book. (This by the way was the case before I deleted everything from Address Book and imported everthing from Outlook......so I am exactly in the same place I was before I started troubleshooting........going in circles at this point in time).

By the way, everything works fine for e-mails. However similar problem with ICal which has also doubled up on all info which was in ICloud and Outlook. I had a memobile account previous so ICloud just imported all that info I assume. Also, everthing works fine between my IPhone and ICloud. This is clearly an Outlook/Address Book Syncing problem.

Any suggestions???

iCloud does not use Apple sync services and Outlook for Mac is not compatible with iCloud, but you should be able to get the mail working.

Oct 18, 2011 11:51 AM in response to tamanacoazur

By the way everyone, I see there are more than 400 views of this post and it has not even been two days. Clearly other people are having a problem and not finding a solution. If this is a problem for you, please post a comment here. Don't just look and leave and be discouraged because you dont find an answer. We have to let both the guys at Apple and MicroSoft that this is a problem. Thanks!

Oct 19, 2011 3:17 PM in response to tamanacoazur

Had a conversation with Apple support, as I couldn't sync my Mac with iphone. Only after that I realized that icloud creates a icloud entry into ical as well as the address book - to have everyhting synchronized, every new entry in the ical has to be placed into the icloud section. Same witht eh callendar. In other words, for anyone using Outlook 2011 like me for business, has to con tinue to sync using itunes... icloud is useless for that. Not being a programmer, I don't understand why Apple created icloud this way...

Oct 20, 2011 6:32 AM in response to tamanacoazur

I'm unsure if I have the same problem as the original poster, but here goes...

I have managed to sync my Outlook and iCal together so that when I add something to Outlook, it also shows up in iCal.

However, I can't do the reverse for some reason. I can't add something to iCal and it show up in Outlook. Bizarelly I can delete an entry I added in Outlook, in iCal, and it disappears from both.

Anyway, I'm trying to get it so that my calendar syncs from Outlook > iCal > iCloud > iPhone. I believe all of this works as things stand, but I can't do the reverse... iPhone > iCloud > iCal > Outlook. It fails on on the iCal > Outlook stage.

Any idea why?

ICloud not syncing with Outlook 2011 using Lion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.