Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Snow Leopard DNS issue

Trouble with DNS when connecting using Mac VPN client.

Our VPN access is setup on a Cisco ASA 5510 firewall. When using Snow Leopard's built-tin VPN client, DNS is not being pulled correctly from the firewall. It connects fine, ssh/telnet and browsing to specific IP addresses works, but DNS does not. VPN connections via Cisco VPN client (Mac and Windows) going through firewall is pulling DNS from 10.9.10.191 correctly. VPN connections via built-in Mac OS VPN client using local IP gateway for DNS and not pulling from 10.9.10.191. Any suggestions? Is this a problem on the SL end of something in the firewall settings? I suspect it is a built-in VPN client issue on the Mac since it works fine using the Cisco VPN client in Windows and Mac OS X. Thanks for any help.

MacBook Pro 15", Mac OS X (10.6.5)

Posted on Oct 15, 2011 6:38 AM

3 replies

Oct 16, 2011 6:59 PM in response to shannonadams

Sorry Shannon, that is what I was recommending, but no exprience with Cisco, I'd personally still think that should work, hopefully we'll get more helpers in on this.

Just wonedring, perhaps the DNS Caches need flushing!?

How to Flush DNS in Mac OSX using Terminal...

In Mac OSX Leopard, you can use the command dnscacheutil -flushcache to flush the DNS resolver cache:

dnscacheutil -flushcache

In Mac OSX versions 10.5.1 and before, the command lookupd -flushcache performed the same task:

lookupd -flushcache

Snow Leopard DNS issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.