Skip navigation
This discussion is locked

iPhone 4s Battery Life?

2397958 Views 12,787 Replies Latest reply: Sep 26, 2012 8:49 AM by Jason L RSS
  • Jameson! Level 1 Level 1 (40 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    May 15, 2012 5:29 AM (in response to ace43)

    Ace,

     

    I stand by my comments.   Whether is was on purpose or not, you misled the forum members with incomplete information..........   We can go back and forth forever on the issue, but after 800+ pages of postings on these battery issues, I'm very comfortable in my claim on your motives.  

  • ace43 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    May 15, 2012 11:34 AM (in response to Jameson!)

    "I'm very comfortable in my claim on your motives."

     

    How can you be so "comfortable" with your claim when you say,

    in the same post, "Whether is (sic) was on purpose or not"?

     

    If you don't know whether something was done intentionally, you

    can't justifiably say anything, with your added "comfort", about motives

    which may have led to the action.

     

    Your "comfort" is based upon faulty logic.

  • 1AppleADayNoWay Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    May 15, 2012 12:24 PM (in response to Scarface.)

    But Jameson, the thing is that he had given the specifics on page 814 on April 28th. You've been here for a long time, so you should know by now, it's the "iPhone"... some people buy it to own it and that's pretty much it - it's not like a carpenter and his DeWalt drill kit lolll.

  • Jameson! Level 1 Level 1 (40 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    May 15, 2012 12:40 PM (in response to 1AppleADayNoWay)

    My logic is that the iPhone has a problem with battery life, for some significant number of users.   This 800+ page thread all but proves that to be a fact.   My logic is that when someone posts here that they get 8+ days of battery life, with no further details, they are either lying, or misleading the rest of us, for some unknown reason other than to make us feel they have some secret.  

     

    It does nothing to help those with the problem.   There are thousands of helpful posts from people who acutally use their iPhones and get decent battery life (decent being 24-48 hours).   For those who don't touch their phones between charges, or turn them off for long periods of time, there is little or no value in contributing skewed data to this thread.   They are doing more harm than good, as I said previously, especially when read by those who aren't familiar with the battery life issues.

     

    This isn't a contest to see who can go the longest in between charges, by not touching or using their phone.   The intent here is for us users to help each other get the most out of our phones while we use them throughout the day.

     

    To those who are here just to win some dreamed up contest, just sit back and watch your phone sitting on the table.   To each, his own.........

  • rphunte42 Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    May 15, 2012 3:20 PM (in response to Jameson!)

    Jameson! wrote:

     

    Ace,

     

    Your info is useless as you've already admitted that you switch the phone to the airplane mode for many hours per day.   For the vast majority of users, this is not an acceptable strategy.   Personally, while I don't relish the thought of late night phone calls, when you have elederly family members, it is a necessity.  

     

    If you leave it in Airplane Mode all the time, it'll literally last for weeks!   So what point are you trying to make, other than deceiving the rest of us?   Please explain.

    Many hours a day?  He said he turns in on  airplane mode when he SLEEPS.  Do you sleep many hours a day?  Do you need your phone taking calls, messages, email, and reporting usage to your service provider while you are asleep?  Be reasonable.  It's a valid conservation method for those who have house phones.

  • rphunte42 Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    May 15, 2012 3:24 PM (in response to Jameson!)

    Jameson! wrote:

     

    So DevilMark, I have to ask........   Why did you spend hundreds of dollars on an iPhone?

    DevilMark wrote:

     

    that is why im the 2nd one who's trying to experiment on this..lol. im using my phone normally and daily for texting.. but has few calls and some music about 15-30mins a day. im at 2days now 4hrs& 20mins usage and 2Days standby. @65% 10-20messeges per day and 1call for 5mins. i also play 3game every morning for 5mins. total.but im not using 3g or wifi for the test. im not into internet cuz i got loptop!

    So he can use it the way HE wants to use it, not the way someone else wants him to use it, or uses theirs.

  • rphunte42 Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    May 15, 2012 3:28 PM (in response to Jameson!)

    Jameson! wrote:

     

    Angered me?   Hardly.....   It is unfortunate, however, that you post sketchy information that may lead newbies and the uninformed, who may read what you post and assume that these results are normal, with typical usage patterns.

     

    There is no reason for someone to come in here and post 8 day battery life results, with no additional explanation of how it was accomplished.   Especially when so many users in here, with normal usage patterns, are struggling have their batteries last 24 hours!  

     

    Your motives for posting what you did are questionable.   What was the point?   It certainly wasn't to help anyone out who is having problems.

    I am not sure there even IS such a thing as a typical user.  His usage is well outside the average, I am sure, but it's his phone, so he can use it as he wishes, and it does illustrate how well a frugal user can make his battery last a long time.  It is at least as valid as the users who report 100% to 0% in 4 or 5 hours, which is far from typical either.  Perhaps they could learn something from Ace.

  • rphunte42 Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    May 15, 2012 3:34 PM (in response to Jameson!)

    Jameson! wrote:

     

    Ace,

     

    I stand by my comments.   Whether is was on purpose or not, you misled the forum members with incomplete information..........   We can go back and forth forever on the issue, but after 800+ pages of postings on these battery issues, I'm very comfortable in my claim on your motives.  

    In what way?  What about the users who post that they get 4-5 hours on a full charge?  Do you think that is typical?  Do you accuse them of lies, being clowns, or fudging the facts?  No?  Why not? Both are on the fringe of the typical experience, but you choose to belittle one who obviously has solved his battery problem to his satisfaction and accuse him of misleading others. 

  • Shadowboricua Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    May 15, 2012 5:18 PM (in response to Scarface.)

    photo 1.PNG

    The top image is right after waking up... Note the phone was charged the evening before and unplugged right after reaching full charge...

     

     

    photo 3.PNG

     

    Just checking Weather, any new emails, a few iMessages... Still at 100%; this is after arriving at work

     

    photo 4.PNG

     

    This the moment were my phone went from 100% to 99%... So my phone stayed at 100% for 8 hours 49 mins after full charge...

  • DevilMark Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    May 15, 2012 6:42 PM (in response to Shadowboricua)

    it is normal but when you used your phone alot for another 30mins for internet.(3G) or games. i think it will down faster cuz for some reason the phone drains 1%per 2hrs tipically. so you can see it 100% but the real battery % was about 97or98% already. my phone always like that. 8-10hrs standby get 100% still but when im stary using my phone for 30mins-1hr long it will down fast 100%-90% lol.the 6mins of usage in your first pic. came from backround apps running on the phone. even if it is standby. that's my opinion on your battery. it is good. as for continues usage u will get 4-7hrs straight. heavy or moderate uses. and morethan 8hrs for slightly used of the phone.

  • Jameson! Level 1 Level 1 (40 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    May 16, 2012 4:27 AM (in response to rphunte42)

    He IS misleading others when he posts those claims, but fails to mention that he if vitually shutting 95% of all features down for many hours per day, by putting it in the airplane mode.   Of course HE can use the phone however he wishes, but when posting here regarding the battery life issues that have been plaguing so many, FULL DISCLOSURE IS IMPORTANT!   To post 8+ day acheivements and not tell the whole story until it is literally dragged out of him is misleading, no doubt about it.

    rphunte42 wrote:

     

    Jameson! wrote:

     

    Ace,

     

    I stand by my comments.   Whether is was on purpose or not, you misled the forum members with incomplete information..........   We can go back and forth forever on the issue, but after 800+ pages of postings on these battery issues, I'm very comfortable in my claim on your motives.  

    In what way?  What about the users who post that they get 4-5 hours on a full charge?  Do you think that is typical?  Do you accuse them of lies, being clowns, or fudging the facts?  No?  Why not? Both are on the fringe of the typical experience, but you choose to belittle one who obviously has solved his battery problem to his satisfaction and accuse him of misleading others. 

  • johnEavocado Calculating status...
    Currently Being Moderated
    May 16, 2012 5:24 AM (in response to Scarface.)

    that was certainly a long read and now at the end we are getting the usual internet ******* match. whats funny is that the only thing in this thread that has actually helped battery life is ace's method i dont get texts at night, because most people  know are sleeping, its an effective method, epsecially if you are away from any sort of charger ie camping/long bike trips/ fishing trips etc

  • Jameson! Level 1 Level 1 (40 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    May 16, 2012 5:37 AM (in response to johnEavocado)

    Really?   At 8+ days, Ace says his usage on the phone is ~~2hrs.   Ace is barely using his phone at all and is turning it nearly off for many hours per day.   Not my definition of effective.

     

    I have most everything on, 24/7 (Wifi, BT, 3G, Push Email for Exchange, 3 email accounts, most location sevices). I charge every night while sleeping.   I followed the numerous suggestions in here which suggest restoring the phone as new when setting it up.   I get 2 days out of a charge, if for some reason I cannot charge on a given night. I actually USE the phone all day and am satisfied with that 2 day capability.   I spent $400 for my iPhone and prefer that it be more than a decorative item on my table or belt clip.

  • DevilMark Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    May 16, 2012 5:47 AM (in response to Jameson!)

    haha.. you still get Ace attention..lol. btw as of now i think i cant make it to 8days.. bcuz my phone usage right now is 6hrs(2hrs actual usage) and 3Days standby @ 46% for my calculation double it make my phone reach for 6days. w/ minimal usage for only call and texting purposes. i play games again for 5mins and play music for 30mins a day.i mean (everyday) im not turning off or even having it airplain mode at night. so my phone continues looking for signal. i have decent 5bars signal but sometimes it bcome 3-4bars only.i still get 10messeges a day not lower! that's all for now at may experiment. conclution to this issue. u can get 8days w/ out charging the phone if ur not actually using ur phone like a normal used per day. ex. of that having airplain mode or turn off cp w/ in 8hrs or overnight.

  • Jameson! Level 1 Level 1 (40 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    May 16, 2012 5:56 AM (in response to DevilMark)

    Screen Capture?

Actions

More Like This

  • Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (258)

Legend

  • This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.