Previous 1 844 845 846 847 848 Next 12,787 Replies Latest reply: Sep 26, 2012 8:49 AM by Jason L Go to original post
  • Hamudee Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    Just let me know the details that you want to ask .I would surely clarify and remove all the ambiguities :D . What I was quoting was that ... For instance My battery got fully charged 100% at 3pm ... Now on STANDBY Mode it remains on 100% till 11pm , which is a good ratio for standby ... But the problem arrives on the stage when I start using it , as it drains upto 35% in almost 40 mins of use.For e.g I started using it at 11pm fully charged , till 11:40 it would be 65% remaining only.I have even turned off system location services and bluetooth is off . i turn on wifi only when needed after using it I turn it off immidiately e.t.c ....Please help me out

  • 5PCMBP Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    Not sure if this will help your situation. I find it helps(does not imply 'to Cure') when I resort back to the days we use to power down our Motoralla StarTacs, Razors, Nokias, or LGCX551's. I know we're talkin 2 dif battery techs NiCad vz Lithium, but I think we tend to forget how hard they are working 24/7. NiCads needed full cycle, full charge to remain healthy, Lithiums don't.?  Im not totally convinced they do t need a full drain once in a while. I try to run it down below 10% close to 5%, turn on Airplane Mode AND manually go through sytem & turn of all data, voice, notifications, locations, Siri, iCloud, Everyting!  Double Tap home to shut down all running app processes, then plug directly to power through cable/adapter in wall socket(to avoid wake up interuotion from laptop/iTunes), wait for it to register its charging, then power down (if you plug it in after you power down just wakes right back up) and let it charge all night and allow the entire phone & battery to fully cool down as well.  Seems to last longer and even

    Seems to pick up memory and some speed for a good part of the day. When I don't give it some downtime here n there its a noticeable difference. But I think we are lucky to have what we have and I need to realize how bad it could be. Cuz I tend to forget that too often and find my foot in mouth complaining. Hope this is of some use to somebody.

  • 1AppleADayNoWay Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    Hamudee wrote:


    [...]For instance My battery got fully charged 100% at 3pm ... Now on STANDBY Mode it remains on 100% till 11pm , which is a good ratio for standby ... But the problem arrives on the stage when I start using it , as it drains upto 35% in almost 40 mins of use.[...]

    Your battery doesn't remain at 100% for 8 hours on standby. Most likely it has lost 20-25% by that time. By the time you use it for browsing and do so for 40 mins, then 75% and another 10% for that 40mins.. 65%... Use the phone normally and look at your usage specs once you reach 1% or shutdown, then evaluate if you made the spec or not... Good luck!

  • Jameson! Level 1 Level 1 (40 points)

    Realistically, if you are using many of the features the 4s has to offer with moderate volume throughout the day, you SHOULD be able to get through the day on a single charge.   If you are a heavy user, it probably won't last the day, without a re-charge.

     

    You'll have some people in here suggest shutting off a lot of features to conserve battery life.   That is obviously an option, but flies in the face of why I bought my iPhone.  

     

    My suggestions:

    1. Connect to wifi as much as possible.   3G seems to drain the battery faster than wifi.
    2. Carry a charger with you.   I have one in the car and on my office desk. I keep it charged all the time and when I can't it's always ready with a full charge for me to use.
    3. Use it and enjoy it.   After all, that's why you bought it! 

    Hamudee wrote:

     

    Just let me know the details that you want to ask .I would surely clarify and remove all the ambiguities :D . What I was quoting was that ... For instance My battery got fully charged 100% at 3pm ... Now on STANDBY Mode it remains on 100% till 11pm , which is a good ratio for standby ... But the problem arrives on the stage when I start using it , as it drains upto 35% in almost 40 mins of use.For e.g I started using it at 11pm fully charged , till 11:40 it would be 65% remaining only.I have even turned off system location services and bluetooth is off . i turn on wifi only when needed after using it I turn it off immidiately e.t.c ....Please help me out

  • Flexrkr Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

    I switched from iPhone 4 to 4s.  Have had nothing but trouble with battery dying in basically 4 hours.  Maybe that is why it is called iPhone 4?  4 hours of battery?

     

    Have gone to the Apple store genius bar, stripped it of all apps and run it with nothing.  The thing gets very hot.

     

    Apple swapped out the phone 3 times.  Eventually switched carriers with the hopes that it was something to do with the network (I knew it was slim).

     

    Have followed advice turning off WIFI, SIRI, location services, deleted me.com addresses (iCloud) features, turned off bluetooth and much more.

     

    Basically, the phone doesn't work right.  Clearly a software issue as people who just start with the device seem to have no issues but those who have migrated have issues with this device.

     

    I was thinking if you buy the newest version, you get a better product.  Unfortunately that is not the case with the 4S at this point it seems. 

     

    There doesn't seem to be a single fix other than run your phone as a virgin phone with no features.  Would be really keen to get the 4s working as well as the 4 does.  Have spent hours troubleshooting this and have not found the solution.  If an IT pro can't get it working normally, an everyday person must be really frustrated.

     

    Anyone know the magic combination?

  • Jameson! Level 1 Level 1 (40 points)

    Have you tried RESTORING AS NEW, then syncing with your data?   Many have found that restoring from a BACKUP causes them the problems you describe, but restoring as new solves it.

    Flexrkr wrote:

     

    I switched from iPhone 4 to 4s.  Have had nothing but trouble with battery dying in basically 4 hours.  Maybe that is why it is called iPhone 4?  4 hours of battery?

     

    Have gone to the Apple store genius bar, stripped it of all apps and run it with nothing.  The thing gets very hot.

     

    Apple swapped out the phone 3 times.  Eventually switched carriers with the hopes that it was something to do with the network (I knew it was slim).

     

    Have followed advice turning off WIFI, SIRI, location services, deleted me.com addresses (iCloud) features, turned off bluetooth and much more.

     

    Basically, the phone doesn't work right.  Clearly a software issue as people who just start with the device seem to have no issues but those who have migrated have issues with this device.

     

    I was thinking if you buy the newest version, you get a better product.  Unfortunately that is not the case with the 4S at this point it seems. 

     

    There doesn't seem to be a single fix other than run your phone as a virgin phone with no features.  Would be really keen to get the 4s working as well as the 4 does.  Have spent hours troubleshooting this and have not found the solution.  If an IT pro can't get it working normally, an everyday person must be really frustrated.

     

    Anyone know the magic combination?

  • Pinksteady Level 1 Level 1 (20 points)

    I just thought I'd chime in with my experience., having just upgraded to an iPhone 4S from an iPhone 4.

     

    Today my 4S lasted about 13 hours before dying. This is with very light usage indeed. I wiped it and set it up as a new iPhone (no restore from backup), have run it flat and charged it fully. I have disabled almost all location services, including the time zone checking, have the brightness on medium, didn't use Siri once, etc etc (I.e. I think I've tried most, if not all, of the recommended battery saving tips).

     

    13 hours is not ok and unless I can figure this out I'm going to have to consider getting Ape to take a look at it. My work gave it to me so I'm not even sure if I can take it in myself?

  • ace43 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    Back in page 799 of this interminable thread, I posted how I had problems identical to yours and got the phone straightened out using advice on earlier pages. It really is not that hard to do. By experimenting around and trying different approaches, I've had the phone last as long as 9 days and never fewer than 3. Admittedly, I'm not a heavy user, but my standby usage was dropping the charge by 10% an hour and now it goes all night and only loses from 2 to 3%. It does even better when I use "Airplane Mode" if I'm not going to be using it, but I rarely have to resort to that anymore. I'm perfectly happy with it now.

  • Iruhaku Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    Well I got my iPhone 4s on Tuesday, I'm upgrading from a HTC wildfire which I had for 2 years, which I'm very happy about and i must say that to be honest i dont have any problems really with battery life and I'm a very heavy user. I play games, facebook always open, skype always open, i have obviously turned off some locations services for apps that don't need it turned off time zone etc as im not going abroad but not bad 17 hrs on 6 hrs in use and when in use its video calls 3d games etc fair enough it was down to around 17% at this point but what can i expect as it is obviously a phone not my laptop. so all in all I'm fairly happy i am however getting a mophie case not because the battery ***** but because i will run that bad boy down to 0 in no time lol unlimited data GF currently resides in the us for the next month so a lot of skype calls over WiFi and HSDPA clocked up 40hrs or so already and no battery cutting out whatsover battey not as long life as my wildfire.

     

    my $0.02

     

    Thanks apple

     

    <Edited by Host>

  • Flexrkr Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

    Thanks Jameson!  Although I had that in the back of my mind, I was trying to avoid that. Took the plunge and wiped, reinstalled my apps afresh, forgot about all my pics that migrated so smoothly on iPhone 3 and 4 and now we've got regular battery life on a 4S.

     

    You think by the third trip to the genius bar they would know this common bug and advise accordingly. Glad a studied up online, posted, and got your insight

  • xenocea Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    Battery life is simply atrocious.

     

    photo.PNG

  • rphunte42 Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)

    Pinksteady wrote:

     

    I just thought I'd chime in with my experience., having just upgraded to an iPhone 4S from an iPhone 4.

     

    Today my 4S lasted about 13 hours before dying. This is with very light usage indeed. I wiped it and set it up as a new iPhone (no restore from backup), have run it flat and charged it fully. I have disabled almost all location services, including the time zone checking, have the brightness on medium, didn't use Siri once, etc etc (I.e. I think I've tried most, if not all, of the recommended battery saving tips).

     

    13 hours is not ok and unless I can figure this out I'm going to have to consider getting Ape to take a look at it. My work gave it to me so I'm not even sure if I can take it in myself?

    First, new batteries take a few charge cycles to attain the best performance, so your problem may disappear.  Second, it is more important WHAT you are doing, and how many things, than how long your battery lasts.  That is, doing somethings is easy on the battery, and doing other things is hard on the battery.  If you are running apps with lots of 3D animation, expect the battery to last less than 3 hours!  If you are listening to music, expect a day or two.  If you are using it lightly for a few phone calls, texting, and a photo or two, then you can easily get 3 days use from a charge.  At least that has been my experience.

  • rphunte42 Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)

    Unfortunately, some of the people at the genius bar, are NOT geniuses.

  • DucL Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    Same problem as everyone. Before activating the phone on Bell LTE network, the iPhone 4S uses some 3% battery overnight. After activation: a whooping 30% ! The battery won't last a day with very light e-mail use and no phone call! Was considering switching back to Blackberry....

    But I saw this note from Apple: http://www.apple.com/batteries/iphone.html

    Turns out I have too many notifications and 4 push mail accounts (this did not bother Balckberry at all !). I now disable Push Mail and uses Fetch mail only. Back to the Stone Age as far as email is concerned. Yesss ! Still 100% battery after 15 minutes. No joke, it was dropping as you watch the counter.

  • sflomenb Level 1 Level 1 (40 points)

    I have had my iPhone 4S since launch, and *consistently* I can only get around four hours of usage each day. It drains 10-15% for every hour of usage, meaning I can only get about 4 hours a day. I think that's terrible. I shouldn't have to bring my charger with me everywhere I go. It's honestly pretty frustrating.