Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wi-fi sync to itunes

I want to sync with wi-fi to itunes, phone plugged in and wi-fi turned on, but box is grey, cannot click on it

iPhone 4

Posted on Oct 15, 2011 7:41 AM

9 replies

Oct 18, 2011 10:41 AM in response to pierrefromtzaneen

Try reviewing this info and see if any of this helps:

Wi-Fi Syncing in iOS 5

1. Have OS 10.6.8 or 10.7 or better on Mac

2. Connect iDevice to iTunes via cable

3. Go to iDevice Summary display/tab: Check "Sync with this iDevice over wifi"

4. Sync iDevice

5. Unplug (do not eject) from iTunes

6. Plug into another power source

7. Attempt manual sync (Settings - General - iTunes Wi-Fi Sync - Sync Now)

Notes:

- iDevice should periodically sync when plugged into a power source

-- if connected to wifi

-- if iTunes is open/running

- Manually starting wifi sync should work even when not connected to power (use caution)

- Heavy traffic on wifi network may disrupt or prevent sync with iTunes

- Using Wi-Fi Sync on Windows is reportedly problematic. It may stop working or work intermittently.

- iTunes 10.5 beta 9 may NOT work with iPhone 4S

Troubleshooting steps

- Confirm OS version on Mac

- Confirm using iTunes 10.5 or newer

- Make sure you have already synced iDevice using cable

- In iTunes Preferences - Devices, make sure "Prevent [iDevices] from automatically syncing" is not checked.

- Confirm no firewall (OS or 3rd party) is blocking connection (on Mac, turn off firewall if you cannot connect)

- Restart iOS device

- Restart iTunes

- Restart computer

- Restart wireless router

- Some report clicking "Renew Lease" on network page may help

- After taking one, several, or all of these steps return to step #2 at top

Oct 22, 2011 2:37 PM in response to jd2020

I have an iPhone 4 and iPad both with IOS 5 synced to the same iTunes on the same iMac running Lion latest version.

iPhone 4 appears in iTunes even if not connected by cable and syncs wirelessly.

iPad does not appear in iTunes unless connected by cable and Sync Now is always greyed out whether plugged into power source or not.

Unfortunately none of the steps shown above corrected this problem. (For example, your step #5 to unplug but not eject nonetheless causes iPad to no longer appear in iTunes.)

Oct 23, 2011 7:08 PM in response to pierrefromtzaneen

I have the same problem, it work like this:

I turn on the computer, open Itunes an check the box for wifisyncing. To get the connection I have to connect my Iphone with the cable, sync one time, reboot both the macbook pro and my Iphone 3gs, then its working until next time i turn off my computer. Then I have to make the process again to make it connect with wifi.

I think there must be a bug.

Oct 23, 2011 8:30 PM in response to bgeggen

Connect the device with USB cable. Sync should start automatically. Check for the device in iTunes and click on it. Click on the Summary page and check whether sync over wifi is checked. I found mine unchecked, AFTER I'd already set up syncing over wi-fi. (That's why there may be a bug, but it may just be user error.)

If it's checked, then after device finishes syncing, disconnect iPhone cable, (but DO NOT remove device from iTunes.)

If the device still shows up in iTunes, then wi-fi syncing is working.

Try to sync again over wi-fi. If it starts, but then disconnects, it might be a problem with your wi-fi network and not your set up.

But if that happens, recheck by connecting the iPhone and checking the summary tab in iTunes. If the check box for "sync over wi-fi" is unchecked, then it's definitely a bug. If it's still checked, then it's your wifi network, I would guess.

Wi-fi sync to itunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.