Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone 4S making rattling noise, did it come broken?

I purchased an Iphone 4S 16 gb white from Verizon yesterday. The phone looked great but as I went home at night and set the phone on the table I heard something come from the iphone. I picked it up and shook it, there was a faint rattle. So I tapped the back of the phone by the camera area and I was able to hear a loud rattle as if something was loose or broken. I am not sure if this is normal due to the upgraded camera, or I was given a defective Iphone which is pretty frustrating since most the stocks are gone. Verizon will not do anything about it since it would be a physical damage case and would not swap it out. Also would charge a $35 restock fee to return the phone.

I have checked to see if the buttons caused this noise but the buttons seem to be pretty secure not doing much moving. Its just the camera area (I have heard of the autofocus causing noises but never actually heard it inperson so I have no idea if it is the same)

Since Apple tech phonelines are tied up and no one will ever pick up, anyone here have some thought to what this could be or if I should be worried? I havent had time to even go to an apple store and don't know when I would.

All help is appreciated

iOS 5

Posted on Oct 15, 2011 8:21 AM

12 replies

Oct 15, 2011 10:50 AM in response to Krish.Patel

Same issue.

Just holding the phone and shaking it, I can hear a rattle. This was true of my 3GS, too.

For me, the rattle is really noticed when the phone vibrates. I took mine back to the AT&T store, and they told me that many people had the same issue, but they told me it wasn't an issue, and couldn't/wouldn't exchange the phone.

Not sure if it's true or not, but the rep told me that it appeared to be somehow related to the SIM card. He applied a little pressure to the SIM card panel on the casing, and it seemed to help the rattling noise but it didn't eliminate the sound.

I'm sure I'll get used to it, but it is a bit frustrating.

Oct 16, 2011 9:20 AM in response to Krish.Patel

I jumped from a 3G to a 4GS (amazing speed jump!) and I too have this rattle. It's pretty loud when lightly tapping or putting the phone on a desk. Anyway, after much research, I can confirm mine is the camera autofocus. A good way to test is this:

1) Open the camera app and focus on something in the distance.

2) Tap the back of the phone near the camera - rattles, right?

3) Hold the phone up pretty close to something and let it focus.

4) Tap the phone again - the rattle is gone/quieter?

That's the case for me anyway. I'd be keen to hear other peoples results from doing the above. If yours is different, it seems loose buttons can also cause a rattle.

The rattle doesn't sounds great, but it seems like it's normal. Some people don't have/can't hear the rattle - they're either not as OCD as me, or their autofocus is slightly tighter fitting. I guess it's all to do with manufacturing tolerances.

You can try your luck and try and get a replacement, but seems like it's 50/50 as to whether the phone will rattle. Plus, I'm sure us OCD folk will always find a problem - dead pixels, tinting, loose buttons.

Hope this helps anyway.

PS - I also took mine to the apple store at first, and was told it was the vibrate motor. I'm surprised how many people get told this. Seems that Apple could do the above test and reassure customers. Perhaps the vibrate motor is easier for people to understand. Also hear a lot of "it's the accelerometer/gyro/compass". This is nonsense, as these are solid state (microscopic) devices.

PPS - This also strikes me as something that could be solved by a firmware update. If you have it so the camera autofocus is set to maximum (as if it's focused on something close) while not in use, it wouldn't rattle. I guess it'd use more battery powering the autofocus (peizoelectric) constantly. Might be worth it to avoid thousands of people worrying about their rattling phones. Must cost Apple a fair bit in manpower and phone swaps though.

Oct 18, 2011 4:24 PM in response to Krish.Patel

I bought finally my IPhone 4S, I'm move from Android and the difference its very notable, and the phone work very well. But some noise, as lose part comes from the camera area. Something wrong??? I verify various models from my co-workers and friends (3GS, IPhone 4) and no have the noise. I call my ATT sales associate and referred me to ATT service center. It's a Factory defect or is normal??? I hope the Quality Control Team from Apple solves or submit an opinion about this matter as soon as possible.

Oct 19, 2011 10:55 AM in response to Krish.Patel

my first white iphone 4s 16gb had the same problem. went to the store they told me it was normal but my ocd wouldnt allow me to ignore it. went back the next day talked to a different genius, they told me the same thing and i said screw that called apple care and they made the store do a forced replacement. my second iphone 4s made the same noise and it had a crackle in the speaker so i said F that called apple care again and after 3 hrs of being on the phone i get to go back to the store and pick a replacement phone that doesnt have the rattle noise. It may be common but it is not a normal manufacturing thing three of my friends all have iphone 4s and none of theirs have the rattle so dont let the apple store push you around about this crap deal with phone support and talk to customer relations. i was ready to stop using apple products after i was treated so crappy in the store.Phone support renewed my beliefs in apple but it takes patience and time so if you arent willing to settle (which you shouldnt since its NOT normal) call apple care and handle it

Oct 20, 2011 9:30 PM in response to Mostlybinary

I took my 4s back to apple store for the same rattle noise issue and was given different answers depending on who i talked to:

1. Its the vibrator location, thats changed from top right to bottom and causing the issue... This was from the 'genius' at the store

2. Its the new power button design and its deliberately more loose or has more wiggle room and hence the rattle sound if you shake the phone

Bottom line is that genius and store manager claim nothing wrong with the phone.... But its total BULL as none of display models made rattle noise like my phone on a simple shake of the phone( and the apple store people acknowledge that too but wont replace the phone)... I ended up returning the phone.

What a turn off .... I would be staying away from apple because of the total nonsense treatment at the store: yes, our phone rattles if u shake it, but thats a feature to increase longevity of the button. Dont like it?? Return the phone or learn to like it!!!!

Oct 28, 2011 6:47 AM in response to Krish.Patel

I noticed the same rattle when i set my phone down. I just got it yesterday, and it has had no trauma yet. If you tap on the back, right under the camera lens, you can hear a dirturbing rattle. everyone seems to think it is normal and just caused by the lens, but if you try to talk on the phone on a high volume, you will get an annoying rattle from the speaker. most likely caused by that loose thing inside the phone. I'm going to challenge Apple to get me a new one that works well.

Dec 15, 2011 7:54 AM in response to Krish.Patel

Just went to my appointment at an Apple store for the rattle sound on my iphone 4S. The tech says that they all do it and it is because of the vibration cushion so when on a flat surface the phone won't move or vibrate off on to the floor. They didn't offer to replace it and I heard his phone make the same noise. I don't like the rattle and it has seemed to have gotten louder. I never had this on my iphone 4. Honestly, I should have waited for the next iphone to come out. This was a waste of money for me. Not impressed overall.

Iphone 4S making rattling noise, did it come broken?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.