Previous 1 2 Next 24 Replies Latest reply: Feb 4, 2012 11:09 PM by timmy toad
timmy toad Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

Hi, my missus is livid, using Safari she is complaining that the little box (HAS GONE) that had a number in it, on the bar to the left of the web address box, when clicked it showed you a small picture of all the web sites which had been recently visited, i dont know the correct name, but it isnt there anymore and seems to have been replaced by a bookmark bar underneath the web address box showing recent sites visited in TEXT.

She doesnt like it and of course it IS all my fault, because she didnt want her precious iPad updating to iOS5.

I dont suppose there is a way of getting Safari BACK the way it was before ?.

tim

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7), iPad 2, iOS 5
  • captfred Level 7 Level 7 (26,270 points)

Tim,

Right click the toolbar and select "customize toolbar".  Drag the icon that says "top sites" back to the toolbar.

Hope the missus will be happy!

Regards,

Captfred

Edit:  Sorry Tim, I didn't see this was the iPad forum.  Advice was for the Mac.... my bad

• timmy toad Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

thanks captfred, i dont believe that i actually tried to do that before i realised that i cannot right click without a mouse  LOL.

nice try buddy.

tim

• ScuseMe Level 2 Level 2 (215 points)

Hi Timmy,

Go into Settings, then tap on Safari in the left column. Turn on "Always Show Bookmarks Bar". That will always show the "# Most Visited" and other bookmarks.

Hopefully that will get you what you and yor wife want.

ScuseMe thanks for that buddy, yeah already got the Bookmarks Bar. I will have to put it down to progress eh, it is a shame really because it has taken ME bloomin months to get her used to the iPad2 as it is !.

As you know, it's all my bloomin fault.  LOL

tim

• UKenGB Level 2 Level 2 (270 points)

There seems to be a misunderstanding here. That box with the numbers in it opened a screen showing all the currently OPEN web pages. You could then switch to whichever you wanted. It was NOT simply recently opened pages or any form of bookmarks.

In iOS 5 on the iPad, that has been replaced by the far better OSX equivalent - TABS. Now when you open additional pages they appear as tabs along the top, just like in OSX and again, just like OSX you can click on a tab to show that page and/or delete it.

So no, your cannot get back the little box with numbers in, but there is now a better way to do the same thing, whereas display and viewing of Bookmarks has not really changed.

Cheers buddy, thanks for that, as with most new things, once you get to use them for a little while you DO usually get used to them, i had got to realise about the TABS with the short time i got to use our iPad.

The iPad is of course for the sole use of my missus, she obviously doesnt like change to iOS5 !! it had taken her ages to get used to the iPad as it was, through which time she has often threatened to send it back !, as if ?.

So my missus is just going to have to get used to it as it is.

tim

• neurobound Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

far better? I think that's a bit of a stretch. Love the new tabs, but they're no replacement for the open window tiles.

• Rcbaker Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

My wife is complaining about the missing icon that brought you to a set of web pages that were minimized beneath.  She thinks the tabs makes it look less organized.  I wrote feedback to apple under safari.  Hope they can bring it back in a near term release.

• Pogsi Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Wholeheartedly agree. Why can't we have both?

• zigzaged Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I have to reply to the "misunderstanding" quote. Here's what is misunderstood.....I have 5 other Apple products including 3 Macbook Pros, the ipad 2 is the first Apple product that my wife has used and she loved it. I thought iOS 5 would be an improvement so I went to it recently. She is so irate that the tiled webpage view is gone she does not want to use the ipad anymore and is saying she does not want another Apple product. So the misunderstanding is that tabs are the way to go. Maybe for myself it's ok, but for a lot of people the visual way is better, and I can understand that. Apple should know by now not to regress on an upgrade. If you had both tabs and tiled visual we wouldn't be having this conversation. Please, for my sake (LOL), add the option back in !!!

• King_Penguin Level 10 Level 10 (112,570 points)

These are user-to-user forums and they are not monitored by Apple (there are too many forums/threads/messages for that to happen) - if you want to make your thoughts known to Apple then you need to use the feedback page : http://www.apple.com/feedback/ipad.html

• Meg St._Clair Level 8 Level 8 (46,340 points)

Have you looked at any of the other browsers that are available in the App Store? Perhaps there is one that will suit your wife better than the current incarnation of Safari.

Fair comment Meg St. Clair, but do any of the alternatives have the Icon with the number of Windows open ?.

I already did send "feedback" about it !

tim

• zigzaged Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Thanks for the feedback, and I will post where Apple can find it. I was just chuckling at the "misunderstanding" comment and had to respond. I'll check out some other browsers as well.

Previous 1 2 Next