Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

A iOS 4 Safari feature has gone in iOS5

Hi, my missus is livid, using Safari she is complaining that the little box (HAS GONE) that had a number in it, on the bar to the left of the web address box, when clicked it showed you a small picture of all the web sites which had been recently visited, i dont know the correct name, but it isnt there anymore and seems to have been replaced by a bookmark bar underneath the web address box showing recent sites visited in TEXT.

She doesnt like it and of course it IS all my fault, because she didnt want her precious iPad updating to iOS5.

I dont suppose there is a way of getting Safari BACK the way it was before ?.

tim

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7), iPad 2, iOS 5

Posted on Oct 15, 2011 9:33 AM

24 replies

Oct 16, 2011 12:58 AM in response to timmy toad

There seems to be a misunderstanding here. That box with the numbers in it opened a screen showing all the currently OPEN web pages. You could then switch to whichever you wanted. It was NOT simply recently opened pages or any form of bookmarks.

In iOS 5 on the iPad, that has been replaced by the far better OSX equivalent - TABS. Now when you open additional pages they appear as tabs along the top, just like in OSX and again, just like OSX you can click on a tab to show that page and/or delete it.

So no, your cannot get back the little box with numbers in, but there is now a better way to do the same thing, whereas display and viewing of Bookmarks has not really changed.

Oct 16, 2011 5:00 AM in response to UKenGB

Cheers buddy, thanks for that, as with most new things, once you get to use them for a little while you DO usually get used to them, i had got to realise about the TABS with the short time i got to use our iPad.

The iPad is of course for the sole use of my missus, she obviously doesnt like change to iOS5 !! it had taken her ages to get used to the iPad as it was, through which time she has often threatened to send it back !, as if ?.

So my missus is just going to have to get used to it as it is.

tim

Oct 30, 2011 6:00 AM in response to timmy toad

I have to reply to the "misunderstanding" quote. Here's what is misunderstood.....I have 5 other Apple products including 3 Macbook Pros, the ipad 2 is the first Apple product that my wife has used and she loved it. I thought iOS 5 would be an improvement so I went to it recently. She is so irate that the tiled webpage view is gone she does not want to use the ipad anymore and is saying she does not want another Apple product. So the misunderstanding is that tabs are the way to go. Maybe for myself it's ok, but for a lot of people the visual way is better, and I can understand that. Apple should know by now not to regress on an upgrade. If you had both tabs and tiled visual we wouldn't be having this conversation. Please, for my sake (LOL), add the option back in !!!

A iOS 4 Safari feature has gone in iOS5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.