Skip navigation

A iOS 4 Safari feature has gone in iOS5

5861 Views 24 Replies Latest reply: Feb 4, 2012 11:09 PM by timmy toad RSS
1 2 Previous Next
timmy toad Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Oct 15, 2011 9:33 AM

Hi, my missus is livid, using Safari she is complaining that the little box (HAS GONE) that had a number in it, on the bar to the left of the web address box, when clicked it showed you a small picture of all the web sites which had been recently visited, i dont know the correct name, but it isnt there anymore and seems to have been replaced by a bookmark bar underneath the web address box showing recent sites visited in TEXT.

She doesnt like it and of course it IS all my fault, because she didnt want her precious iPad updating to iOS5.

I dont suppose there is a way of getting Safari BACK the way it was before ?.

tim

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7), iPad 2, iOS 5
  • captfred Level 7 Level 7 (26,225 points)
    Oct 15, 2011 9:45 AM (in response to timmy toad)

Tim,

Right click the toolbar and select "customize toolbar".  Drag the icon that says "top sites" back to the toolbar.

Hope the missus will be happy!

Regards,

Captfred

Edit:  Sorry Tim, I didn't see this was the iPad forum.  Advice was for the Mac.... my bad

• ScuseMe Level 2 Level 2 (215 points)
    Oct 15, 2011 10:00 AM (in response to timmy toad)

Hi Timmy,

Go into Settings, then tap on Safari in the left column. Turn on "Always Show Bookmarks Bar". That will always show the "# Most Visited" and other bookmarks.

Hopefully that will get you what you and yor wife want.

• UKenGB Level 2 Level 2 (270 points)
    Oct 16, 2011 12:58 AM (in response to timmy toad)

There seems to be a misunderstanding here. That box with the numbers in it opened a screen showing all the currently OPEN web pages. You could then switch to whichever you wanted. It was NOT simply recently opened pages or any form of bookmarks.

In iOS 5 on the iPad, that has been replaced by the far better OSX equivalent - TABS. Now when you open additional pages they appear as tabs along the top, just like in OSX and again, just like OSX you can click on a tab to show that page and/or delete it.

So no, your cannot get back the little box with numbers in, but there is now a better way to do the same thing, whereas display and viewing of Bookmarks has not really changed.

• neurobound Calculating status...
    Oct 21, 2011 11:25 PM (in response to UKenGB)

far better? I think that's a bit of a stretch. Love the new tabs, but they're no replacement for the open window tiles.

• Rcbaker Calculating status...
    Oct 22, 2011 7:03 PM (in response to timmy toad)

My wife is complaining about the missing icon that brought you to a set of web pages that were minimized beneath.  She thinks the tabs makes it look less organized.  I wrote feedback to apple under safari.  Hope they can bring it back in a near term release.

• Pogsi Calculating status...
    Oct 23, 2011 1:31 AM (in response to neurobound)

Wholeheartedly agree. Why can't we have both?

• zigzaged Calculating status...
    Oct 30, 2011 6:00 AM (in response to timmy toad)

I have to reply to the "misunderstanding" quote. Here's what is misunderstood.....I have 5 other Apple products including 3 Macbook Pros, the ipad 2 is the first Apple product that my wife has used and she loved it. I thought iOS 5 would be an improvement so I went to it recently. She is so irate that the tiled webpage view is gone she does not want to use the ipad anymore and is saying she does not want another Apple product. So the misunderstanding is that tabs are the way to go. Maybe for myself it's ok, but for a lot of people the visual way is better, and I can understand that. Apple should know by now not to regress on an upgrade. If you had both tabs and tiled visual we wouldn't be having this conversation. Please, for my sake (LOL), add the option back in !!!

• King_Penguin Level 10 Level 10 (92,485 points)
    Oct 30, 2011 6:11 AM (in response to zigzaged)

These are user-to-user forums and they are not monitored by Apple (there are too many forums/threads/messages for that to happen) - if you want to make your thoughts known to Apple then you need to use the feedback page : http://www.apple.com/feedback/ipad.html

• Meg St._Clair Level 8 Level 8 (37,465 points)
    Oct 30, 2011 6:23 AM (in response to zigzaged)

Have you looked at any of the other browsers that are available in the App Store? Perhaps there is one that will suit your wife better than the current incarnation of Safari.

• zigzaged Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Oct 30, 2011 7:24 AM (in response to timmy toad)

Thanks for the feedback, and I will post where Apple can find it. I was just chuckling at the "misunderstanding" comment and had to respond. I'll check out some other browsers as well.

1 2 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.