Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Moving music from iPad to computer

My mother bought an iPad2 about a month ago and downloaded all her music from her computer to the iPad2 with my help. Recently, her computer went nuts and she had to completely wipe it clean so she lost all of her iTunes music files. She asked me if there was a way that she could take the music from the iPad2 and download it back onto the computer. I have been told that this is impossible to do. Does anyone know if you can do this and if you can, could you give me detailed instructions on how to do so?

Thanks!

iPad 2

Posted on Oct 15, 2011 10:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 15, 2011 10:14 AM

http://www.wideanglesoftware.com/touchcopy/index.php

That will move everything and is nice to have around. If she has a Mac you can also use PhoneView.

After you move everything back show her how to do backups of her computer.

9 replies

Oct 15, 2011 10:18 AM in response to bosoxfan4205

If she bought the music from iTunes she can use the transfer purchases feature of iTunes. Connect the iPad to the computer, launch iTunes, right click on the iPad name on the left side of the iTunes sidebar under the devices heading and then select Transfer Purchases from the resulting popup menu. That will transfer the songs back to the iTunes library.

If the music was imported into iTunes from CD's she will need a third party app like this.

http://www.imtoo.com/ipad-to-pc-transfer.html

Also, you can always download purchased music again for free if you are in the U.S. and if you use the same iTunes account and Apple ID that you bought the songs with originally.

Feb 10, 2014 6:04 PM in response to bosoxfan4205

This is a recommended method to move music from iPad to computer:

Step 1. Turn off automatic syncing in iTunes, do this through iTunes Preferences > Devices > check “Prevent iOS hardware from syncing automatically”, then quit iTunes

Step 2. Download iStonsoft iPad/iPhone/iPod to Computer Transfer and install it

Step 3. Connect the iPad to the computer by USB data cable

Step 4. Run iStonsoft iPad/iPhone/iPod to Computer Transfer and click the arrow next to the iOS devices name, then click the arrow next to “Media” and then again next to “iTunes_Control”

Step 5. Drag the entire “Music” folder to a location on the desktop, this is all of your music and it may take a while to transfer

Step 6. Wait a while,Finish!you success to transfer music from iPad to computer

Tip: iPod and iPhone is also the same way,you can also transfer photos,video.etc

Moving music from iPad to computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.