Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Syncing iPhone 4S App Data

Hi there,

Another new iPhone 4S user here, and like many others, I am trying to get all my data from my previous iPhone 3GS onto this one.

I have synced all my apps, but all app data, bookmarks and indeed favorites have not synced.

I have a lot of data on previous productivity apps such as Todo and Things, which have not transferred over.

Please can someone show me an easy way to have all app data transferred accross.

Thanks.

Acer Aspire 5735, Windows Vista

Posted on Oct 15, 2011 12:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 15, 2011 12:40 PM

Restore your iPhone 3GS backup on iTunes to your iPhone 4S? That's what I did with my iPhone 3G to iPhone 4S.

6 replies

Oct 15, 2011 12:49 PM in response to fernandofromthehouse

fernandofromthehouse wrote:

i have the same issue. i backed up the 3gs then connected the 4s. there is no option shown to restore from back up. only to restore. won't that just wipe out all the bought apps? i am not very technically savvy, obviously.

When it says "Restore from iTunes" it means restore from a backup from iTunes, not to restore the device.

Oct 15, 2011 1:30 PM in response to fernandofromthehouse

Restoring the iPhone software (i.e. iOS) will wipe the iPhone clean, removing all your content. After that, you can restore from a backup, thereby re-transferring your content from the iTunes backup to your iPhone. So restoring the iPhone software to a clean state is not the same as restoring from a backup.

When you connected your new iPhone 4S to iTunes for the first time, you should have been asked whether you would like to set it up as a new iPhone, or restore from a previous backup. You should have been able to choose the backup of your iPhone 3GS at this point.

Right now, you can just right-click on your iPhone 4S in the iTunes device list and choose "Restore from backup", then select your latest iPhone 3GS backup.

Nov 19, 2011 6:39 AM in response to Tim Lorenzen

I have an iPhone 4s which I have restoredfrom backup of my previous iPhone 3GS. most of it works fine but I have noticed 2 issues.

1. I dont seem to have the tabbed browsing in safari and dont see any option to turn it on.

and

2. The option to create a personal hotspot isn't thereeven though I have iPhone tethering included in my contract.

I know that neither of these features was available on the iPhone 3GS even with IOS5 installed so am wandering if that has anything to do with it?

Syncing iPhone 4S App Data

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.