Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 4S finicky mirroring to AppleTV

Having issues with mirroring iPhone 4S (iOS5) mirrored to AppleTV2 (4.4). The mirroring feature doesn't seem to work as advertised for me. It stutters a lot or the image freezes and the sound continues to play. So, mirroring becomes pretty much useless and unstable.

I tried mirroring several different games. I thought it might be a bandwidth or signal issue. The wireless signal on the iPhone 4S does seem to fluxuate the local wireless signal, but the ATV stays consistent at 4 out of 5 bars. My iPhone 3GS within the same room even holds a consistent full wireless signal.

Even when I'm streaming content from the internet, my download speed is ~15 mbps.

Otherwise, the normal AirPlay feature of sending HTML5 videos from iPhone to ATV works flawless as long as it's not streaming VUDU content.

On a side note, sometimes AirPlay abruptly drops video streaming over a specific period of time. This seems like a bug. I found shutting of autolock within settings solves the issue. But, then disabling autolock completely defeats the purpose of having an autolock option.

Has anyone else experienced similar problems?

AppleTV 2, iOS 5

Posted on Oct 15, 2011 12:19 PM

44 replies

Oct 16, 2011 7:25 AM in response to Scott Konradt

I'm having the same issue. Real Racing 2 is a mess. Sometimes no picture at all. When I do get video, it stutters so badly, the game is unplayable. Other games also stutter, though not as badly. Apple TV works perfectly otherwise - streaming video, music, etc., from my Mac Pro, Netflix and iTunes purchases, so I don't think it can be explained away as a networking issue. I've tried rebooting ATV and my router, but the problem persists.

As is, mirroring is essentially worthless, which is a huge disappointment. That has huge potential, I think.

Anyone have success in overcoming these issues?

Oct 17, 2011 1:06 AM in response to Dan Radmacher

i have the same issue with real racing 2 also. the game lags too much and eventually airplay switches off itself.

i am beginning to think it's a router connection problem. but can't say for sure... i've always had weird issues with my router. i'm thinking if i replace my router, it will fix the problem.

i also sometimes get this really weird issue where when i switch on airplay, it doesn't allow me to and switches back to the iphone. this happens after unsuccessfully playing real racing 2 with mirroring (this occurs even outside of the game with the game turned off). but after a bit of time, it fixes itself (able to use mirroring, airplay, outside of the game).

Oct 27, 2011 3:05 PM in response to Scott Konradt

Having similar issues with my iPhone 4S. No problems with airplay and photostream works fine. Air mirroring works to start with but always after about 10minutes it stops working.

Whats confusing me is that when it does it kicks every device on my wireless network off requiring me reset my router then all is well. At the same time it does this the air mirroring option dissapears completely from iphone 4S ( perhaps wifi lost and this is the first sign of it? )

I'm reluctant to start messing with router settings and its not at all in keeping with my experience of Apple over last few years where everything ' just works'.

I've done all the ATV2 updates today x2 and required me to put in all my details again so I think ( but need to check ) that its now on 4.4 or higher. I had hopes this would fix it but seemingly not.

Is it worth ringing Apple helpline for stuff like this? Never have done before.

Nov 5, 2011 2:29 PM in response to Scott Konradt

I agree with the mirroring sucking as it is not bandwidth because I have no issue with anything else in my home over bandwidth. I have Airport with 802.11n and it is still glitchy. There is. Pearly a glitch and I'm disappointed with how they are not even recognizing the issue. If Steve was at the helm I doubt he would have let the feature see the light of day if it lagged this bad. Hopefully this. An be resolved shortly as this was one of the main reasons I got this phone.

iPhone 4S finicky mirroring to AppleTV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.