Previous 1 2 Next 16 Replies Latest reply: Oct 9, 2013 10:10 AM by Syncopator
alinds Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I want to tell Siri to "schedule lunch with Joe at noon" so it ends up on my calendar, but so it doesn't email Joe as an invitee. Is this possible?

It'd be nice to have people associated with events on my calendar without spamming those people.

iPhone 4, iOS 5
  • mal5z Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

Exact same problem.  Sometimes I want a calendar entry to mention someone's name without that person being invited (e.g., meeting to discuss John Doe).  And even where the meeting is with someone, I don't generally need to send them an invitation.  Are there even ways to phrase a calendar entry to avoid having an invite sent?  I tried "meeting: John Doe," in order to avoid the word "with," and Siri still sent Doe an invite.  Siri seems to be very aggressive on this.

• alinds Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

My guess is we're out of luck until Apple makes a change. The only way to speak to Siri that way and not have her send a message, I think, is to remove the contact's email address. Of course, that makes zero sense. Sigh.

• Michael Black Level 6 Level 6 (17,955 points)

What about?

"Add to calendar.  Lunch with Joe, thursday at noon"

I may have been incorrect when I said that a colon wouldn't work. I set up a fake contact with an email address called John Doe, so I could do some tests. Now when I'm trying it again, it seems that if I do "add lunch: John Doe at noon tomorrow" it uses "lunch: John Doe" as the title but doesn't invite John Doe (ie, doesn't send an email to my fake contact). If I tell it to add "lunch with John Doe," it sends the invite. So maybe that's the workaround.

Interesting. The problem seems to be with using the word meeting. When I do "lunch: John Doe," it doesn't invite John Doe. When I do "meeting: John Doe, "it translates that into "meeting with John Doe" and then invites him. So avoid the word meeting. I think the same is true with appointment.

I tried Michael's idea, and it works except that "calendar" ends up in the title, but at least it still links the event to John Doe: "Calendar lunch with John Doe"

mal, I tried yours and it works with/without the colon, but mine didn't seem to link to the contact.

Hopefully, Apple will later give the option to shut off auto-email. I feel like it'd be an easy setting to include in Settings, right?

whoops. i accidentally hit correct answer. it's not, necessarily... :\

• Fergusickle Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I wish there was a fix.

It's very aggresive of Apple to push us to have these emails sent out. 

And if I say schedule a meeting, dinner, massage, anything... Siri wants to know the last name of Joe to send him an email. 

Very annoying!

• LJH_CMH Level 1 Level 1 (60 points)

It's worse than annoying, it's downright dangerous. It's only a matter of time before someone loses their job over one of these unintentional emails. An email should NEVER be sent without my specific confirmation. I appreciate the suggestions about using phrasings, but that's not safe enough for me. If I accidently use the wrong word or Siri gets creative with her interpretation, an invite could still go out. I'm doing all my calendar entries manually going forward until Apple fixes this.

Would you imagine that apple has gotten enough complaints about it by now to include a fix in the next update? (kind of rhetorical, kind of not)

• Abeneedshelp Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Has there been any resolution to this. This feature is dangerous can it be shut off?

Please post if any progress has been made on this request. Thanks.

• theadamses Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I am having this same problem.  I scheuled a doctor's appointment, and it sent him an invite!  Then I re-entered it into the correct calendar, etc., and erased the original.  SIRI EMAILED MY DOCTOR AND CANCELED MY APOINTMENT!!  This was very bad!!  Is there any way to keep Siri confined to my phone, and have her not out there ruining my life?  I'll just have to turn her off until I can fix this. 

• smoot Level 1 Level 1 (145 points)

I solved it.

If you want to schedule a surprise party for John Doe you have to say this exactly: "schedule quote surprise party for John Doe end quote at 1pm tomorrow."

Example if you say: "Schedule quote surprise birthday party for John Doe. end quote for November 8th at 9pm" then Siri will NOT send a meeting invite to John Doe for the surprise party.

Example if you say: "Add quote appointment with Dr. Nick end quote on Nov..." will NOTsend an e-mail notification to Dr. Nick...

I want to tell Siri to "schedule lunch with Joe at noon" so it ends up on my calendar, but so it doesn't email Joe as an invitee. Is this possible?

Schedule quote lunch with joe end quote at noon           No email will be sent

• Entropy2016 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Good catch on the quotes option Smoot.

Still though, this is clunky having to dictate punctuation to do something that should be so trivial.  The whole point of Siri is to be able to speak naturally and have it just work, like talking to a secretary.  Not to mention silently sending out emails without permission by default is still unforgivable.  I only noticed this problem existed because one person I scheduled a meeting with someone who had 2 emails and Siri would get confused and prompt me which email to use.

I'd say we still need a Settings switch to turn this crap off.

Previous 1 2 Next