Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to send from mail.app

Hi all,

This seems to be a bit of a complex situation. I had a mobileme account, and I also had an old mac.com account which had lapse but which I kept using as my Apple ID for here, for purchases etc. When the time came to make a decision about icloud, I moved my mobileme account over and that was all good.

However, in the interim I decided that I did not want to have separate icloud accounts for both mail and itunes purchases etc. So what I did was set up the mac.com ID as the main iCloud ID, and then set up mail under that, with me.com addresses. So far, its all going well. Here's the process

*@mac.com as login and apple ID

*@me.com as the main email --> *@me.com as an alias.

However, I am unable to send from mail.app with either of the me.com addresses. I can use the web just fine, icloud on the web doesnt care that I have an apple ID that can't send mail. But, mail.app seems to care a lot, because it simply will not connect to the smtp server that get set up when I set up the emails. I can collect mail just fine, but cannot send.

I don't understand this. I can't use the mac.com address in anything to do with mail and nor should I have to, its not that address that I *want* to use for email, its just an appleID and login ID. Thats all.

Anyone got any suggestions at all about what to do (apart from "just use the web client" which is what I am doing at the moment) I want to keep it all together but this is defeating me, completely.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8), 13" May2011

Posted on Oct 15, 2011 1:30 PM

2 replies

Oct 15, 2011 1:50 PM in response to Carolyn Samit

Thanks Carolyn, I'll look it over anyway, but *after* I posted, the sidebar showed me a couple of posts which had not turned up in a search. Andrew from melbourne has discovered that many of the SMTP servers have not yet propagated correctly, so when setting mail up, with smtp.mail.me.com and allowing that to choose a server (for me it was always p07) was bound to fail. It seems that p07 doesnt yet exist. So I followed his advice and manually set the server to p04-smtp.mail.me.com and it works. Apparently p01-p04 have all gone ahead. Andrew is checking from time to time for other servers. I will do that as well.

But setting the base smtp.mail.me.com is probably going to fail a lot of the time, and four smtp servers are doing the work of many. I just hope that Apple can fix whatever is wrong, because all the smtp servers ought to have propagated by now.

re .mac and .me being the same. Yes, and no, in my case and others like mine. my .mac ONLY exists as an appleID and cannot be used for mail.

Unable to send from mail.app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.