Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my library is gone

i have no music

Posted on Oct 15, 2011 2:18 PM

14 replies

Aug 8, 2012 2:04 AM in response to thurmanfromphiladelphia

Okay, this happened to me last night. I have just read a post that explains that itunes can get corrupted and you get left with this empty folder BUT the music is still on your computer. The empty itunes window has a "link" that says something like "Do you want itunes to search for music on your computer?" This is for first time users who may have music on their computer downloaded from elsewhere. I hit this link and 1600 songs were found and retrieved, which was my entire library. The thing is you lose the playlists, so have to do all the sorting again. But at least the music is still there. Hope that helps.

Aug 8, 2012 2:33 AM in response to ViennaMo

This method could recover your playlists...

Empty/corrupt library after upgrade/crash

Hopefully it's not been too long since you last upgraded iTunes, in fact if you get an empty/incomplete library immediately after upgrading then with the following steps you shouldn't lose a thing or need to do any further housekeeping. In the Previous iTunes Libraries folder should be a number of dated iTunes Library files. Take the most recent of these and copy it into the iTunes folder. Rename iTunes Library.itl as iTunes Library (Corrupt).itl and then rename the restored file as iTunes Library.itl. Start iTunes. Should all be good, bar any recent additions to or deletions from your library.

User uploaded file

See iTunes Folder Watch for a tool to catch up with any changes since the backup file was created.

When you get it all working make a backup!

tt2

Nov 21, 2012 1:35 PM in response to roaminggnome

My backed up library did not transfer to my new iPhone5. I tried to "Restore" my phone several times and after each time to restore from backup. But each time it started to download the entire music library from our computer.

I called Apple support and he suggested I manually put back all the songs I want. But there's got to be a better way. Should I iCloud my old phone's music libary and then "cloud" it into my new phone?

Anybody have this problem or suggestions? I'd appreciate it.

Apr 11, 2013 1:43 PM in response to turingtest2

Thank you most kindly! I opened my iTunes up and was greated with nothing in my library except 'iCloud' nonsense. You've saved the day. Although I did nothing to corrupt the library so this is not good. Obviously all my ripped music and mp3's are backed up elsewhere but man that was making me very upset. This sort of thing should not happen. Not with as much money as we all spend with these guys. Thanks again.

May 30, 2014 3:30 PM in response to thurmanfromphiladelphia

Hi! Follow this advice.

You're missing music or other media in iTunes

my library is gone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.