Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPod Touch 3g dies after iOS 5 Update

I did what appeared to be a successful update on my iPod Touch 3g this morning. After the update, everything that I tried worked as expected, with no obvious issues.

After the update, I went for a walk and listed to audio on the Touch for about two hours. Then it just shut off and won't come back on. I have tried plugging it back in to my computer on the off chance that the battery died, but it is still completely dead.

Suggestions? Has anyone else experienced this?

Kim

Posted on Oct 15, 2011 2:40 PM

15 replies

Oct 22, 2011 1:12 AM in response to Kiminy

I also updated my ipod touch 3g this week to IOS5. Again it appeared to go fine, though the apps I'd downloaded and purchased were lost in the shuffle. However, 5 or 6 days later now the ipod has "crashed" and a hard reset brings up the apple, but then sets in motion a spinning wheel and nothing more. This is the third iPod I've lost to an update and frankly that just ridiculous. If the hardware can't handle the software, surely the updater shouldn't allow the update. Of course the the iPod is JUST out of Apple (couldn't) "Care" (less) warranty. I need to rember to NEVER upgrade another apple product again. Despite missing out on all the features, I should have learned years ago that its better to have something that works than something that is packed full of new features in teh vain hope that it might.

Oct 22, 2011 1:37 PM in response to El Deanio

Hi El Deanio,

thanks for taking an interest.

Attempt 1 the spinning wheely gig came on when the iPod was completely detached from anything. I then saw that there was a restore in iTunes, but again when I attached again the spinning wheel. I guess the issue is that it won't boot therefore cant connect to iTunes. iTunes, or Finder don't see it at all.

Any thoughts gratefully received.

Best

Mark

Oct 22, 2011 2:17 PM in response to markm68

An update. I was able to get the iPod to be recognised by iTunes. I started to run the restore to factory setting and ran into "Ipod XXXXX could not be restored. An unknown error occured (1645)" and back to the spinning wheel. grrrhhhh. Click through "More Information" and am directed to http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1275 were indeed error 1645 is not known. Many others are, but 1645 is not there. The above support article is entitled

iOS: Resolving update and restore alert messages

HAH..!!

More grrrhhhhh.

Any thoughts anyone??

Oct 23, 2011 11:45 AM in response to El Deanio

Hi El Deanio,

thanks again for you thoughts. I've not had the headphones attached throughout this, but the headphones were attached when the problem occurred.

I still can't get the restore past the 1645 error and spinning wheel is ongoing.

I can see the content through iTunes and I also just noticed that the "capacity" is showing Audio, Video, Pictures ertc totalling 13.8GB and also "Other" is showing 13.8GB, almost like it is mirrored.

Dec 15, 2011 1:55 PM in response to Kiminy

Hi! Just wanted to let you know I tried to update my 3G iPod touch to iOS5 and now it doesn't work -- it is "stuck" on the lock screen and the "slider" doesn't work. I tried everything as far as rebooting and restoring the device and ended up paying for a tech support call, assuming they would let me download an older version of iOS off of iTunes to install on it so my frozen ipod touch would work again. Tech support was no help and it would appear earlier versions of iOS are not available for purchase anymore. So my 32 gig 3G iPod touch is a paperweight, when it worked perfectly before the update. I have another 3G iPod touch and I will NEVER update it to iOS 5 after what it did to my other one. I don't understand why they let people update software that is not compatible with their 3G device. I know it is an issue with the software not being compatible because I have had a previous software issue with a 1st generation iPod touch, and it was also stuck on the lock screen until a compatible version of iOS was installed on it. Tech support said I could have it repaired for $150 but I figured for that price I'd be better off replacing it with a 4G (which I already did). Anyway, the bottom line is they broke my toy and failed to offer any remedy. So "Buyer Beware" -- or be wary of updates at least. :-|~

Dec 15, 2011 3:31 PM in response to Ladymissjessica

i'm sure nobody at Apple is gonna care, but i'm pretty much done with Apple toys. They are the superior user experience whilst they work and for that thry would be worth the premium price, but i also expect superior robustness and I'm not sure i'm getting it. So Samsung is going to get my App.e budget this year and my sales team are getting Galaxy Tab 7plus machines rather than ipads.

Dec 16, 2011 1:18 PM in response to Kiminy

markm68

I think that your answer may be here (the answer marked as correct) -

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3133207?answerId=15459616022#15459616022

At least I hope so.

UPDATE

Forget it. I was so carried away that someone had found a solution to that error code I missed that it was about the iPad. Bugger!

Nevertheless the link supplied does give some general principles (battery charge level, shutting off sleep mode and so on) that may assist at some point in time so I decided not to retracted this but bear the embarrassment instead.

Message was edited by: El Deanio

Dec 16, 2011 1:36 PM in response to El Deanio

Thanks for the good advice, El Deanio! 🙂 ..But I've already tried hard reboots and restoring it to factory settings more times than I can count. :-| It may have a hardware issue that wasn't obvious until the software update (the warranty is expired at any rate so I already replaced it with a 4G). ..I may try an untethered jailbreak just to see what i can make it do. ^_^ Right now it's permanently stuck on the lock screen.

iPod Touch 3g dies after iOS 5 Update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.