Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How many upgraded to iOS5 WITHOUT a problem?

I see lots of problems reported here. Am reluctant to upgrade at this point unless it's clear Apple finally is upgrading without problems.

iPhone 4, iOS 4.3.3

Posted on Oct 15, 2011 3:18 PM

13 replies

Oct 15, 2011 3:22 PM in response to LIPhotoman

You need to remember that most of the people who post here are here precisely because they have problems. The larger share of people, those who have not problems are off doing other things. They aren't, as a rule, just stopping by to post, "Upgrade went fine!"

That being said, despite the fact that I did my upgrade on the 12th and it took forever, it all went well. I love the new features, and wish that the iPhone 4 had gotten Siri but, oh, well.

Oct 15, 2011 3:24 PM in response to LIPhotoman

I was lucky enough to upgrade my iPhone 3gs to iOS 5, Wednesday with no issues as of yet. Unfortunately, I tried to update my girlfriends iPhone 3gs, but it has been trying to activate with a "sim not valid" or "there is no SIM card installed..." error during that same time frame.

I don't know what to tell you, except to wait for 5.1 or check around to see for any consistencies, and see if they would apply to you. If they do, stay away.

Another issue that I have seen, and was even warned about at the AT&T store, was that the activation servers are over-run right now, and will be for a while.

I guess I was lucky with my iPhone.

All I can say is good luck.

Oct 15, 2011 3:28 PM in response to LIPhotoman

I had no difficulties with the upgrade PROCESS itself -- it went without a hitch -- but ever since my upgrade my battery life has taken a colossal nosedive. I've been to the genius bar twice and they can see the battery draining at extra-fast speed and are stumped.

So far they've had me disable everything to do with iCloud, and even disable some notifications / location services that I was using before with iOS4.x without a problem.

My iPhone is sitll draining at a rate of about 25% an hour. It gets to below 10% in four hours from a 100% charge. Something is clearly very wrong, and it appears to coincide with the upgrade, but so far I've had no solutions from the apple store folks. The phone is no longer in warranty unfortunately and I do not have applecare. But a phone that lasts only 4 hours (without you even using it much) is close to being a brick.

Oct 15, 2011 3:32 PM in response to LIPhotoman

There will NEVER be an iOS update without a single reported problem out of millions upon millions of people installing the update on compatible devices. If you wait for not one reported problem after a major update is released, you will never install any update.

These discussions are for nothing but problems. This is like a hospital for Apple products. Not installing an update based on these discussions would be like visting a hospital in your area full of very sick and dying patients and leaving the hospital believing that everyone in the area is very sick and dying.

BTW, no problem here after installing iOS 5 on my iPhone 4 and the same for my iPad 2.

Oct 15, 2011 3:42 PM in response to LIPhotoman

Lil photo man,

I upgraded my iPhone 4 to IOS 5 and i have not had any trouble with the upgrade or using my phone. I had some difficulty setting up the iTunes Wi-Fi sync, but i used the wifi sync which my phone connected to my PC with the usb data cable and then restarted both my phone and my pc then after the restart, they found eachother and synced wirelessly. Everything else has been great. I don't think that IOS 5 has a Zoom feature on the camera though. I haven't found it in any of the support docs. And when i looked up the specifications of the iPhone 4S, i noticed there isn't any zoom feature on the camera. since the 4S ships with IOS 5, it seems like the 4 with IOS 5 will no longer have the zoom feature...

Good luck upgrading I ran into a few people at the genius bar with 3G & 3GS models that were having big problems with their phones after upgrading. Figure the IOS 5 is coming pre-installed on the new touch and the iPhone 4S, both with the new processor, makes me wonder just exactly how backward compatible the new Operating system really is... It may be better to stay with the 4.3.5 untill you upgrade your carrier offers you a sweet discount on a phone upgrade usually 12-months into your current contract. Or wait for the iPhone 5 to come out. Personally i am keeping my iPhone 4 until the iPhone 5 is introduced. I hear for ATT they're planning on March 2012 according to the representative I spoke to a few weeks ago..

All the best...

How many upgraded to iOS5 WITHOUT a problem?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.